Kribensis Stream Habitat Tank

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Thought I would make a thread as I haven't in ages.
This is my 75gal tank that was scaped to replicate a slow stream in the jungle. It is centred around the kribensis as I wanted a group of them as the focal point.
In the back left corner is a waterfall made from corrugated plastic board and disguised by siliconing stones on to it. The intake is in the right corner.
There is a circulation pump in the right corner above the intake to the canister that is on the timer with the lights. This gets the water flowing nicely in a circle around the tank when lights are on and gives a nice stream effect.
Aquatic Plants:
Anubias nana Java moss Java fern Windolev fern Sag grass Cryptocoryne and somthing tall

Emersed/terrestrial plants:
Artillery Fern Creeping Ficus Anubias nana Arrowhead plant Windolev Fern Java Moss and something very similar to pennywort that grows as a weed in my bonsai pots

Livestock:
11 Kribensis pulcher - believe it or not 10 males and only one female
5 Congo tetras - Phenacogrammus interruptus - All male (had 6 but one got lost in the jungle)
2 Clown loaches - These will be moved once I have set up another of my larger tanks in the next year
1 Long-Finned Ancistrus - adult male - he too will be rehomed into another tank in time.

Once the tourists in the tank have gone to other tanks I will be adding a group of 6 Pareutropius buffei (African glass catfish). I could kick myself for not getting them when I saw them at a great price.

Substrate:
Black gravel with some amazonian aquarium soil mixed in. This is covering a 1/2"-1" thick clay layer in the corners for planted plants.

Lighting:
Nothing special - 2 4' bulbs white light

Filtration:
1 1200l/h jebao canister filter
Plants

Maintenance
Weekly 40-50% water change with "mulm vac" once a month refilled with straight tap water from the garden hose. Tanks has been running for about 11 months.

After adding more plants. There was an algal bloom that would not go away.
P_20171130_212245_vHDR_Auto.jpg

At this point I was sure the soil was leaching way too many nutrients and the algae was coming fast and furious with no respite even with weekly large water changes.
P_20180122_192112_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Turns out the curtain by the window was not being closed properly and the sun was getting about 1-1.5 hrs of direct subtropical sunlight in the mornings over the patch of cryptocorynes. Once I discovered this I closed the curtain and the problem subsided.
The tank with new circulation and algae under control.
P_20180320_202120_vHDR_Auto.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Beautiful looking tank and Congos are my favorite tetras.

Reactions: cockroach

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Nice set up. Glad that your algae is under control as your plants are slow growing, algae susceptible. Why do you need to rehome your ancistrus as they are good algae eater. I like Congo tetra, but read that they will nip on new growth. I also keep Kribs in my planted 75. Yours are mostly males as I found that females are harder to find as they are taken first in LFS.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
K krichardson Thanks. I love congos but they need to be with the right mix or they are too boisterous. In Taiwan they are cheap enough but you never see females for sale. 14 years and yet to see a tank with females in it.

tiger15 tiger15 Thanks. I want to get the tank a bit closer to a biotope so will look for something else to eat algae although the kribs are doing a stellar job at controlling it. I have found the kribs to be super vegetarian and equivalent to silver dollars with smaller appetites.
They polished off the whole tank grown full with temple plants. it was hit and miss until the current plants should enough resistance to survive.
The congos do nip at new growth a lot. i help to deter this with a lot of vegetarian food and algae (nori) sheets.

Where most of the males hang out. in the val near the branch/root.
P_20171120_223045_vHDR_Auto.jpg
The water cabbage struggled with the congos demolishing the roots.P_20171120_223307_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
K krichardson Thanks. I love congos but they need to be with the right mix or they are too boisterous. In Taiwan they are cheap enough but you never see females for sale. 14 years and yet to see a tank with females in it.
Wow....any idea as to why that is?

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
In US, female Congo are left over as males are taken first. The opposite happens to Krib as males are the left over.

I didn’t know Krib are vegetarian but I saw mine nibbling between plants frequently. You don’t want Krib to be mini silver dollar as the latter are voracious plant eater. I think ancistrus graze different type of algae, mainly green dust algae on glass and plants, whereas Krib pick on hair algae. I have half a dozen ancistrus and Krib, plus three panda gara, to keep the glass and plants clean. I keep similar slow growing plants in a 75 as yours and never have concern with too many algae eater.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Wow....any idea as to why that is?
I have a feeling it is one of two scenarios with the latter being the more probable. It could be so people can't breed their own or people don't like, and so don't buy, the drabber females. Males get higher prices as well.

I didn’t know Krib are vegetarian but I saw mine nibbling between plants frequently. You don’t want Krib to be mini silver dollar as the latter are voracious plant eater.
Not herbivorous per se but an omnivore strongly inclined to plant matter. They also get fed bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, color pellets, decapsulated BBS eggs, and a mixed dry store bought food made by mixing three small containers of different pellets and flakes.

Nice tank. I'm also working on an afrAfri river tank, on 40 gallons though. I have Congo tetras, syno nigervinter, and buffalo head cichlids. I need more plants, but it's coming along.
You can add nice current to that tank. Fish would appreciate it.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store