Nov 24, 2013
WA
:(

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Cant be starvation he ate the night before. Cant afford to try again so this next one better last

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
Cant be starvation he ate the night before. Cant afford to try again so this next one better last
Like I said, just because your pleco is eating doesn't mean he's able to process the food he's taking in. Eating is only part of the equation and w/o the proper ability to process the contents in his stomach it's the same as not eating at all. In most causes there's nothing you can do about that. Like I said, lots of times fish stores will treat for parasites or other issues and the chemicals they use can kill the good bacteria that live in a pleco's gut the converts what they eat into something their body can break down and use for nutrition. Without this they can eat and eat but basically still starve. I still think this is what happened with yours since you said he was fearless. I've seen that behavior displayed from plecos who die from starvation a short time later. It's like they understand how dire of a situation they're in so they're wired to put safety on hold in an effort to seek out food. Even if they are eating as is the case with yours they still aren't getting nutrition from the food so at a primitive level they're still starving.

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
Maybe heater burn?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
This is what did in my l27 xingu last year, such a tiny burn. He lived about 3 more weeks before I found him unresponsive.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Like I said, just because your pleco is eating doesn't mean he's able to process the food he's taking in. Eating is only part of the equation and w/o the proper ability to process the contents in his stomach it's the same as not eating at all. In most causes there's nothing you can do about that. Like I said, lots of times fish stores will treat for parasites or other issues and the chemicals they use can kill the good bacteria that live in a pleco's gut the converts what they eat into something their body can break down and use for nutrition. Without this they can eat and eat but basically still starve. I still think this is what happened with yours since you said he was fearless. I've seen that behavior displayed from plecos who die from starvation a short time later. It's like they understand how dire of a situation they're in so they're wired to put safety on hold in an effort to seek out food. Even if they are eating as is the case with yours they still aren't getting nutrition from the food so at a primitive level they're still starving.
Jar so then i need to figure out what i did wrong... maybe not enough fresh meat (frozen krill) he was getting mostly nls and massivore the past week or two

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
Some plecos need meaty foods. Some plecos it's not good for then & they need more plant-based foods. You'll just have to take it case by case when you get a new L # pleco or are considering it.

As far as him potentially not having the proper beneficial bacteria in his gut, it may not be anything you did at all. Didn't you say you recently got him from a LFS? Like a few months ago? It's possible they unknowingly treated him or the tank he was in with some sort of antibiotic or chemical & inadvertently killed the BB that lives in the guts of plecos. Without a healthy gut flora their ability to properly process the food they take in is greatly reduced if not completely lost. Even though they eat & look full they pass the food w/o processing all (or any) of the nutrition they need from it. So they physically eat but it's like they never even ate to their body. They effectively starve w/o the ability to process/absorb nutrients. If that's what happened there's not too much you can do other than to buy from somewhere else in the future or educated them on caring for plecos.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Some plecos need meaty foods. Some plecos it's not good for then & they need more plant-based foods. You'll just have to take it case by case when you get a new L # pleco or are considering it.

As far as him potentially not having the proper beneficial bacteria in his gut, it may not be anything you did at all. Didn't you say you recently got him from a LFS? Like a few months ago? It's possible they unknowingly treated him or the tank he was in with some sort of antibiotic or chemical & inadvertently killed the BB that lives in the guts of plecos. Without a healthy gut flora their ability to properly process the food they take in is greatly reduced if not completely lost. Even though they eat & look full they pass the food w/o processing all (or any) of the nutrition they need from it. So they physically eat but it's like they never even ate to their body. They effectively starve w/o the ability to process/absorb nutrients. If that's what happened there's not too much you can do other than to buy from somewhere else in the future or educated them on caring for plecos.
I treated it with parasite guard ( all my fish are treated with it in qt)

Thanks for taking the time to educate me on this

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
I treated it with parasite guard ( all my fish are treated with it in qt)

Thanks for taking the time to educate me on this
I'm not saying for sure that's your problem but I wouldn't treat fish that aren't displaying symptoms. To be safe don't treat fish unless you absolutely have to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store