Lake Tanganyikan Turtles

HilJack41

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2005
Cincinnati soon to be lakeland fl
i had one before. theyneed a uv light for thier shell taht promtes super agel growths, adn theyneed special vitamins for thier sell. mine ended up dieing..... ask how ong they have had the turdle. make sure hes not "soggy" and his shell is thick an leathery. also food wise, they need to be target fed to make sure they get enough vities and minerals. diet is super important, as well as heat and uv for thier shell, calciumificaton.. sp? word?, adn digestion.do repti reseach before the purchase

Kieranuk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
England, UK
I think this one is in a water with high PH so it dosent need the extra things. It was caught in Lake Tanganyikan so I don't think it's the same as a florida one. Iheartfishies this turtle looked abit like that $2,700 thing in japan. I will try and get some pics but it might be next week when I go and probably get it. :)

PredatoryFishMagazine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Even with the higher ph the turtle is still going to need the "extra things". Without proper UV lighting and vitamins the turtle wont be healthy at all. It's shell will start flaking off, and eventually it will develop metabolic bone disease.

Also, I can't imagine this turtle not eating fish. I highly doubt there is a turtle that can get 100% of its nutritional needs on a diet of nothing but bloodworms. Please get some pics if you can.

Kieranuk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
England, UK
Hopefully no-one will buy it by next weekend so I can get pictures. The shop is really good and for example when my fish died without evidence they replaced them for free even though I was about to buy replacements so hopefully they are telling me the right things. It is called Aqua Blue Zaire and it's partner shop in Belgium is one of the best in europe.

lophius

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
UK
where was it kieren? (i'm in the UK too).

Personally I wouldn't keep turtles with fish (I have kept many turtles) . I did keep a large florida sofshell with fish for 5 years (from hatching to 12" carapace length) .. it was a bit nippy but then suddenly turned into a fish killer overnight.

I currently have a FRT that I house with some cats and peacock bass .. this is the only truly aquatic freshwater turtle and 'meant' to be mainly vegetarian --- it still likes to chew on fish and has killed a couple in the past, including 2 pangasisus sanitswongi and a female parachromis dovii.

In addition I suspect that you will have to provide suitable areas within the tank for the turtle to be able to haul out and get dry.

just a word of warning

Carl

nick

Candiru
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
meriden ,ct
id bet money its a softy , mine loves to bury in my julidochromis tank , he pokes his head out and if u turn on loud music he dives back into his hole

Kieranuk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
England, UK
Lophius It is in Aqua Blue Zaire. Where abouts in the UK are you I am Durham way. Are you sure that that is the only truly aquatic one as this one seemed to be a new one to the trade and it was in with fish. It is quite rare I think. Also do you know any good places for monster fish? I have tried 'Wharf Aquatics' but wasnt as intrested in monsters then so I am not sure how good the fish they had in stock were. Nick yeah its a softy but a differnet type of softy. It is from africa in the lakes. I think I will try and reserve it tommorow.

guesswho2005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
Medowlakes,Alaska
Kieranuk said:
I was buying some cichlid's today for my malawi tank upstairs and saw this turtle in with the type of fish I have. Apparnently they only eat bloodworm and not other fish. I really liked it and was going to buy it (it was £100 ($190)) but then I realised I would rather have monsters for my 7ft tank. I am going to check how much money I have in one of my accounts and if I have spare I will probably get this turtle. It was so cool it dug holes then burried with its head sticking out. It also swam around the aquarium. It grows to under 1ft but cant go in with too agressive fish as it is softshelled. I will let you know if I am getting one. Also does anyone else have one and if so are they good pets?

Thanks,

Kieran
I will grab my world turtle book and see. I'm not familar with african turtles but I will look it up, however, most turtles when mature will eat anything that swims by. Also from what I see now they do get bigger then 1". :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store