Large cichlid aggression levels/Help me plan my big tank

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I think the Lyonsi even though milder of the amps will be a touch more aggressive and I would probably let the other fish settle in and get the Lyonsi last.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
I got my Lyonsi from TUIC a while back, but I see them pop up fairly frequently. If they are the #1 fish you want, I'd make sure to order from the place that has them. I've ordered w/ CoA 5-6 times now & found the $100 minimum to be flexible. As long as you're close - $75-$80, Dan is usually ok with it. He just doesn't want to do alot of work for a $15 order.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
SO any thoughts on which cichlids would do well in pairs? I already have a pair of Syns, but I'd like to have a couple pairs in the tank, other than some of the smaller cichlids that will be in groups/pairs. Any input on which ones would generally tend not to kill everyone when mating? I would love to have a pair of the True Parrot cichlids, but the seem like they would get fairly aggressive, plus they are expensive, so buying a group to grow out = $$.

Also any thoughts on how a Gold Saum Green Terror, Festae, or either of the small Caquetaia would mix with this group?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Problem I had with Green Terror's is they grow MUCH slower than all the Vieja/Paratheraps I have. So they're fine at first, but then they get outgrown and they can't compete anymore. I had 3, they all ended up in the corner with their fibs clamped close to their sides. Then I bought a 5 inch male off the Internet, and same thing with him. So I gave up until I get another tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Hmm ok. Would starting with a bigger Gold Saum help, or would it just pick on the smaller fish until it got outgrown? How would the Festae or small Caquetaia do?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I've never had Festae, but I've read here several times they're shy when they're little. Green Terrors just grow slow. I'd bet if you got one too big, they might be rough on smaller fish. But if the smaller fish are tough, they'll deal with it. I've got Argentea much smaller than my other fish, they do great. Green Terrors smaller didn't do so great. Sajica didn't do too good when they were smaller. Convicts don't care if they're smaller. Zonatus are just never smaller...:). Fenestratus don't care if they're smaller. Breidohri need to start big. All just trial and error. If I were buying any Amph's, I'd get em small cause they're pretty rough. I want to get a Midas or a Trimac, but I'm waiting til most of my fish are 6-8 inches before I add 3-4 inch Amph's.

I had a Lyonsi, it grew really quick compared to my Vieja/Paratheraps. And Vieja grow pretty fast. Helps to know all that when you're putting together a mixed community. Takes time and thought.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
And the OTHER problem with all this...different fish of a species grow at different rates. I've got 5 Argentea, one won't grow, and one is now twice the size of the rest of them. So now what? I have a JD, think it's female, about 5 inches just quit growing-- she's getting lower in the pecking order. It's complicated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store