Large Cichlids that play nice with tankmates?

Rensille

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2018
Hi! I want to set up a new tank for medium to larger sized cichlids as they seem to be the most colorful fish around and I have no idea which ones go well in a community tank besides severums and geophagus eartheaters from what i heard most cichlids tend to be aggressive. I would like to know more peaceful or community friendly medium to larger sized cichlids species so I know what to look for in my lfs. If anyone has experience with known to be rather agressive cichlids that turned out to be peaceful please share your experience as well.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi! I want to set up a new tank for medium to larger sized cichlids as they seem to be the most colorful fish around and I have no idea which ones go well in a community tank besides severums and geophagus eartheaters from what i heard most cichlids tend to be aggressive. I would like to know more peaceful or community friendly medium to larger sized cichlids species so I know what to look for in my lfs. If anyone has experience with known to be rather agressive cichlids that turned out to be peaceful please share your experience as well.

It will depend on aquarium size because Cichlids require space.

Reactions: magpie

Rensille

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2018
What specie of Cichlids are you interested in please be specific.
I'm not really interested in any specific species, any recommendations will do as long as they are medium to large sized community friendly cichlids as I'm pretty much looking for more cichlids I am not familliar with to give me more options and ideas in which i'm planning to get. But the types of cichlids that i'm most interested in are the large south american ones.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I suggest a South American setup with one Severum and smaller group of med size like Electric Blue Acara or Dwarf such as Bolivian Rams. You could add bottom dwellers like Corydora, Porthole, or Raphael Catfish. A Bristlenose Pleco can be added.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Welcome to MFK! The 80 gallon would work with a Chocolate Cichlid or two perhaps.....they seem pretty chill with tank mates. Very cool cichlids! Lots of personality....not as aggressive or messy as oscars with a smaller mouth.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Pair of Green terrors with a gold nugget pleco and a shoal of beunos Aires tetra would be nice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store