Large Neolamprologus Brichardi Species Tank

Darkskies

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Hi,
I posted earlier about how I have an empty 125 gallon aquarium and I was debating what fish I should stock it with. Recent musings have lead me to consider turning it into a species tank for Neolamprologus brichardi. Do you think this would make for a good show tank? I'd love to have a huge colony of these fish as their population grows as well as watch their group breeding and rearing antics. Perhaps I can dedicate it mainly to the brichardi but include some other species of fish as well?

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I personally think it would be cool. I would love to have an all rock dweller tank. I almost want to say though it would be even cooler if you went with neolamprologus helianthus or Neolamprologus gracilis or even neolamprologus pulcher or neolamprlogus buscheri... instead of a basic brichardi. I just think it would be a little different as I see a lot of the common brichardi in species tanks. There are are all kinds of really cool rockdwellers you could get that would be fun that I dont see people do to often.

axelfoley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Winnipeg
i'm planning a 90g n. brichardi species only tank. are you going ahead with your 125? i'd like to see your final setup and hear what you have to say about it

emptyhead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
Ohio
This is a great idea and something that I have considered myself. I have wanted to do this ever since seeing the Tang tank at the Newport Aquarium in Cincy. A couple of brichardi were guarding a large clutch of fry - very neat activity. Of course there were other fish in the tank, but the tank was a large tank.

Please post pics of your progress!

Darkskies

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2010
Syracuse, NY
emptyhead;4451044; said:
This is a great idea and something that I have considered myself. I have wanted to do this ever since seeing the Tang tank at the Newport Aquarium in Cincy. A couple of brichardi were guarding a large clutch of fry - very neat activity. Of course there were other fish in the tank, but the tank was a large tank.

Please post pics of your progress!
emptyhead, Thanks so much for posting on both of my threads. As of right now, I was kind of leaning more towards the malawi mbuna community because only 1 person had thought that the brichardi species tank was a good idea. I'm kind of on the fence about it again now that you and axelfoley think that a brichardi species tank might turn out to be a great setup. Since my pH is 7.6 I have to especially make sure that I raise it to somewhere in the 8 range for brichardi as they're Tanganyikan fish right(or would 7.8 be fine)?

emptyhead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
Ohio
Darkskies;4453877; said:
emptyhead, Thanks so much for posting on both of my threads. As of right now, I was kind of leaning more towards the malawi mbuna community because only 1 person had thought that the brichardi species tank was a good idea. I'm kind of on the fence about it again now that you and axelfoley think that a brichardi species tank might turn out to be a great setup. Since my pH is 7.6 I have to especially make sure that I raise it to somewhere in the 8 range for brichardi as they're Tanganyikan fish right(or would 7.8 be fine)?
Personally - I would not mess with the PH at all. I just don't think it is necessary, and fluctuations in your PH are not good.

I kept Malawi for years, and now keep a 150 and a 55 full of Tangs and I never check or alter my PH. My water is somewhere around 7.2 out of the tap if I am remembering correctly.

My 55 tang tank just has sand, snail shells, and 7 river rocks. I have plants growing in this tank and they are thriving. The 150 tang tank has sand mixed with crushed coral, snail shells, and 4 large rocks that raise the PH also. This tank also has plants, but they are not thriving like the other tank - there are some red val that are starting to look good though.

Anyway - don't worry about your PH for a mbuna tank or a brichardi tank - none of those fish are that sensitive.

Here is my recommendation for you:

Set up your tank with play sand and some large rocks. Put a dozen brichardi in and enjoy.

If you don't care for it - you have minimal investment and can switch to mbuna or whatever.

If you have lights to support live plants - try some live plants with your brichardi if you want.

Darkskies

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2010
Syracuse, NY
emptyhead, Thanks for the suggestions. How long did you have your malawi mbuna? Did they live rather long lives and breed in your water? I was planning on adding around 20-40lbs of crushed coral mixed in with a white sand substrate. Should I just forget about the crushed coral and have only sand then?

srawding

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
CT
I say do it! They are fun to watch and the fry look like brine shrimp when born.

emptyhead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
Ohio
Darkskies;4458036; said:
emptyhead, Thanks for the suggestions. How long did you have your malawi mbuna? Did they live rather long lives and breed in your water? I was planning on adding around 20-40lbs of crushed coral mixed in with a white sand substrate. Should I just forget about the crushed coral and have only sand then?
Yes, they bred in my water. They were healthy and thrived in my water without adjusting the PH. I have not found mbuna to be picky regarding water - of course ammonia will cause bloat and kill them - so you have to keep up on water changes. Any large properly kept group of mbuna will readily spawn and hold. I bred several different mbuna species. You can keep mbuna for many years, even raising multiple generations.

You can do either with the substrate. The sand is cheaper and I personally like the uniform look of just sand vs sand mixed with crushed coral.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store