Large Non Aggressive FreshWater Fish

kayleelovesfrankocean

Feeder Fish
Oct 17, 2019
Hello! My friend gave me a 10 gallon tank with a rainbow shark, i learned they need bigger tanks and im purchasing a 75 gallon tank this weekend ! I currently have two plattys, two bleeding heart tetras, a black molly , and a Dalmatian molly in the tank with the rainbow shark , they all get along fine so I guess I’m looking for something that won’t be aggressive to rainbow shark and won’t eat the smaller fish cause i quite like my mollys and would like to add more to the bigger tank.

Reactions: BichirKing

Schniz

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2019
Georgia
Other than the rainbow shark all of the fish you currently have will do better in groups and IMO look better in groups. After your new tank has cycled I'd suggest getting more of each. With a 75 gallon tank you could add a few more platys, a few more Mollys, maybe 10 more Bleeding Heart Tetras for a decent size school and then still add some kind of single fish that you like that won't get too big or too aggressive.

Schniz

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2019
Georgia
I guess I didn't really answer your question with my previous reply. A few cichlids I've kept with Platys, Tetras and Rainbow sharks with no issues are Severum, Firemouth and Kribensis. The Severum will get the largest but I've never had an overly aggressive one. I've had aggressive Firemouths and laid back Firemouths but even the aggressive ones were more bark than bite, gill flaring but no damage to other fish. The Kribensis are the smallest and mine have always left other fish alone but were able to hold their own if bullied. I've also kept Opaline Gouramis , blue Gouramis and yellow Gouramis with them with no issues.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Don't add any fish that would compete with it. I would just increase your schooling fish to like 10+ per species and let the rainbow shark have the full 4 feet of the bottom of the tank as territory.

Use your old tank as a quarantine tank for the newly purchased fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store