Largemouth hybrid?

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
THat is NOT a green sunfish. THat IS a bluegill. See all the bluelines around his gills and the yellow on the tips of his fins. THey have larger mouths than sunfish/perch and they get larger as well. We have those all over the lakes and ponds in CA.

fivespeed302

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2006
Tampa, FL
My best guess is that it is a regular green sunfish. The one you caught is probably older than the one in the picture. I'm willing to bet that there are some slight variations in colors/markings from region to region. Pretty fish, and good eating too!

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Pure green sunfish for sure.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
and the blue gill on it???
i have caught these

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
gangster;2186497; said:
THat is NOT a green sunfish. THat IS a bluegill. See all the bluelines around his gills and the yellow on the tips of his fins. THey have larger mouths than sunfish/perch and they get larger as well. We have those all over the lakes and ponds in CA.
You've got your species flipped. The blue facial markings and yellow/cream fin edges are typical green sunfish features not found in bluegill. Bluegill also have a smaller mouth and taller body than greens, and a long black opercular lobe (from which the common name comes). Both bluegill and green sunfish reach lengths greater than a foot, with bluegill being a little more massive at a given size.

I agree that the OP's fish is a typical green sunfish. They make good inhabitants in a large tank, kinda like a more active oscar.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store