Largest Cichlid that Won't Eat Neons?

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
Yes they will... so much for them being vegetarians. :)
Haha yeah I learned the lessons on severums from my brother-in-law's south american tank. He doesn't have any tetras left lol. I'm sure if you put a deer in a pen with baby chicks it would eat them too.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
The problem with questions like this is that there are absolutely no absolutes. :)

I think that Keyholes are ideal for this; they're a wonderful and underrated fish. I also bred Uarus for a number of years, back when they used to be referred to as the Poor Man's Discus, and they lived with a breeding colony of Guppies; I never saw an Uaru attempt to eat even the smallest newborn fry, and the little fish required ruthless culling on my part to keep them in check. Much more recently, I had 6 adult Gymnogeophagus balzanii living with two species of Goodeid livebearers (Ameca and Xenotoca) and while the largely-herbivorous Goodeids exacted a frightful toll on the cichlid fry when they became free-swimming, the reverse never seemed to happen.

But...a friend to whom I provided a "starter culture" of Uarus back in the day tried the Guppy thing and it failed miserably. Uarus are not efficient predators, but in the confines of just about any tank...and especially a tank with almost no plant life because the Uarus ate almost any type of plant...if they decide they want to eat Guppies, they will eventually catch them; he kept restocking his Guppies (usually with my extras!) and they kept disappearing. And a current neighbour who fell in love with the exotic big head on my dominant male balzanii, and to whom I gifted a subordinate male who wasn't "getting any" in my tank, reported angrily that he ate all her tetras within the first week.

And no, I did not utilize the all-too-common trick of overfeeding my fish to within an inch of their lives, hoping that obesity would keep them from choosing predation. That is not good fish-keeping.

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
Uaru are herbivores and in my experience won't bother even the smallest fish. Lettuce and plants on the other hand...
Cool good to know. Don't they get a little large for a 90 though? And also I really hate keeping them because I have to crank the temp up so high for them. But I might give it a go. Thanks.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Cool good to know. Don't they get a little large for a 90 though? And also I really hate keeping them because I have to crank the temp up so high for them. But I might give it a go. Thanks.
You will probably get different responses to that question , but in my opinion yes they do.
That is why I think keyholes would be ideal if you wanted something larger than apistogramma or rams.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store