Larval Eel

yellowray91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
FL
hi guys i need some help. I live on a brackish water creek in FL and tonight I was at my dock dipnetting some little bait fish and i saw this eel like thing swim out over the light and I dipped it out. It is about 2 inches long and a half inch tall clompletly see through exept for the eyes. I guess its an american eel:confused:. My ? is what do I feed it?

thanks

yellowray91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
FL
ok i will try. ive put some frozen reef plankton in there and no interest. its mouth is so tiny i think it may have to eat microscopic stuff? also i dont think i can get a pic it takes me 5 minutes or so just to find it in a 5 gallon tank:screwy:

thanks

ReelBigFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
In a house
Try bloodworms too.

Have you tried leaving food in overnight? American eels tend to feed at night.

And don't panic if it doesn't eat right away. Eels can go a very long time without food.

yellowray91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
FL
hes still alive but he never stops swiming and i have not seen him eat yet. i am going to try the blood worms like you said and also drop a little peice of shrimp in overnight.

thanks

ReelBigFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
In a house
yellowray91;4909154; said:
hes still alive but he never stops swiming and i have not seen him eat yet. i am going to try the blood worms like you said and also drop a little peice of shrimp in overnight.

thanks
I didn't see my eel eat for over 2 weeks when I first got him. Even now, I've had him for over a year and I barely ever see him eat. I just drop food in before I go to bed and it's gone the next day.

Oh yeah, food doesn't have to be microscopic. If you have shrimp in there, it will most likely tear off pieces by grabbing hold and twirling like a crocodile's death roll, although that might get messy.

What's the setup like?

yellowray91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
FL
it just a 5 gallon with a hang on back and some rocks too hide in. ive done some research on them and while there see through i geuss there pelagic:confused:

thanks

green_fox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2006
canada
what kind of water is he in at the moment? brackish?

yellowray91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
FL
brackish but probably more fresh than salt. he doesnt even look like an eel yet more like a see through ribbon with eyes.

thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store