last minute order arrival 04/30/2013, act fast or they'll all be gone!

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
Hey Rob,

I know you like to study different types of fish. Well here is the background information for thsoe that want to hear it. Yes, we re-discovered these fish back in 2009, and went far into China to meet with scientists that were researching and breeding these fish, well that is no longer being done. The price of the current ones are wild so they're cheaper, the initial leg work of discovering them, and setting up the shipping has all been done already. If you read our original story published in TFh magazine, also on my blog., it took us 2 wks of time and over $10,000 dollars to find them initially.

There is now a new population of these fish found in another river that runs along the mighty Yangtze river, previously not collected from that region. Now I've "accidently" led this Chinese exporter to that area by showing him pictures, and now he is paying the local fisherman to catch them and sell to him only. Make a long story short, he owes me money so I'm making him send me these as partial credit. They are catching 4-8" ones along with other loaches, but the giants that once roamed the main Yangtze are mostly all gone, I've waited for years to hear if they find any giant ones but non have turned up. I can only dream of the 30" ones that use to swim the rivers!

Holy cow Wes, great list. You are THE man!

Quick question for you if you have the time. Do you know if the Leptobotia elongata are being captive bred now? They seem to have become fairly available and have dropped significantly in price since you brought in that first batch a few years ago.

Thanks,

Rob

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
YUMMY LIST!!!!

* Waits patiently for paradise threadfins ;)

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Hey Rob,

I know you like to study different types of fish. Well here is the background information for thsoe that want to hear it. Yes, we re-discovered these fish back in 2009, and went far into China to meet with scientists that were researching and breeding these fish, well that is no longer being done. The price of the current ones are wild so they're cheaper, the initial leg work of discovering them, and setting up the shipping has all been done already. If you read our original story published in TFh magazine, also on my blog., it took us 2 wks of time and over $10,000 dollars to find them initially.

There is now a new population of these fish found in another river that runs along the mighty Yangtze river, previously not collected from that region. Now I've "accidently" led this Chinese exporter to that area by showing him pictures, and now he is paying the local fisherman to catch them and sell to him only. Make a long story short, he owes me money so I'm making him send me these as partial credit. They are catching 4-8" ones along with other loaches, but the giants that once roamed the main Yangtze are mostly all gone, I've waited for years to hear if they find any giant ones but non have turned up. I can only dream of the 30" ones that use to swim the rivers!
Thanks Wes. I'm glad they found another population of these guys. Hopefully that's a good sign. I love these Imperial Loaches. If I didn't just spend several thousand dollars on house repairs I'd order one from you. The colors on the one you posted is phenomenal! :thumbsup:

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
This is the first time that we've received this for the hobby, probably the first time in the hobby. They seem very strong and healthy, and were kept at 78 degree prior to me getting them, and they were eating well. these came from Europe, only a few for sale, the rest will be shipped out next week.

lota 3.jpglota lota1.jpg

lota lota1.jpg

lota 3.jpg

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Hey Wes, if you don't mind telling me, where are you getting your European fish? I have seen lota lota for sale at only one farm here so I'm interested in where you got them. I do understand if you do not want to tell, though:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store