Latest Reptile Introduction to Hawaii

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I noticed this guy on a tool shed. I believe its a Madagascar Giant Day Gecko that have recently been introduced to Hawaii within the last few years and have become established on all the main islands. Can any one confirm or deny species?

IMG_0467 (2).JPG

IMG_0473 (2).JPG

IMG_0470 (2).JPG

Reactions: xraycer

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
It looks like one. It's got some nice coloring on it too.

Start breeding them and shipping them to the mainland.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I actually saw 4 possible males kind of sparring at one another, there may be no need to breed them could just collect from wild. Is there any market for them?

T Thekid

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I actually saw 4 possible males kind of sparring at one another, there may be no need to breed them could just collect from wild. Is there any market for them?

T Thekid
They go for $100 a pop at our lfs and chain pet stores for 5". They seem like they sell fairly well.

Here's a specialty breeder-
http://giantdaygecko.com/pricingshipping.html

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Looks like the Geico lizard
yea, I'm still in the air about it....Definitely a Malagsy species, but there are several that look closely like the Giants. Have to look around, they look different than the ones I had at the LPS I used to work at, but just a little. Could very well be different locales....IMO, they look a bit lightly-built for Giants, but I guess could be juvenile or sub-adults.....iirc the Giants are always big and FAT cuz they have an appetite like a Shrew

GOOD LUCK!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phelsuma

Last edited:
Reactions: Wailua Boy

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I have another source reporting these guys to be Gold Dust Day Geckos Phelsuma laticauda but I know there are confirmed sightings of Giants on outer lislands. Anyone know how easily they hybridize?
T Thekid
Frank Castle Frank Castle

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store