Leaking 180 gallon.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If the leak is a simple pin hole breach in some minute area of silicone, a surface seal will do.
Sorry to sound like a naysayer here but...
If it is a question of the seams coming apart because the original silicone no longer has tensile strength, this may be another matter.
In the latter case, sealing with a tensile strength supporting silicone, and adding an extra brace (sometimes called a Euro-brace) might go a long way to preventing future problems.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Thanks for every ones advice here, Probably would work but I should look around for someone that repairs them. Anytime I call a shop they just try to sell me there sealent lol. AHH! Shouldn't be going through this with a new freaking tank...

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Thanks for every ones advice here, Probably would work but I should look around for someone that repairs them. Anytime I call a shop they just try to sell me there sealent lol. AHH! Shouldn't be going through this with a new freaking tank...
New, as in brand new? No warranty?

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
If the leak is a simple pin hole breach in some minute area of silicone, a surface seal will do.
Sorry to sound like a naysayer here but...
If it is a question of the seams coming apart because the original silicone no longer has tensile strength, this may be another matter.
In the latter case, sealing with a tensile strength supporting silicone, and adding an extra brace (sometimes called a Euro-brace) might go a long way to preventing future problems.
Ive inspected everything possible and I cant visibly see anything wrong with the seams. The leak was slow I just happened to come home to the last of the dripping water. If it poured out fast and furious I would have had electrical issues because all my stuff was behind the tank just laying there. I have also moved it multiple times empty with no noises or anything pointing to a serious issue. Although the tank sits in bracing so perhaps I wouldn't even notice any structural issue on the bottom.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
A year old :/ and Im sure ive compromised whatever warranty is on it by scraping out the silicone :(. Also my stand wasn't exactly proper which I believe led me here in the first place.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
A year old :/ and Im sure ive compromised whatever warranty is on it by scraping out the silicone :(. Also my stand wasn't exactly proper which I believe led me here in the first place.
Doh! Should of try the warranty route first before scraping off the silicone.
A couple of summers ago, I picked up a very sketchy 180 for $100 and just didn't know if this thing was going to hold water, leak, or just downright burst. I resealed the intank silicone bead and I designed my stand to also act as a brace. Check out my 180 rehab thread in my signature area below. However, I only took the risk because the tank was going to be set up in an unfinished basement. GL

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Doh! Should of try the warranty route first before scraping off the silicone.
A couple of summers ago, I picked up a very sketchy 180 for $100 and just didn't know if this thing was going to hold water, leak, or just downright burst. I resealed the intank silicone bead and I designed my stand to also act as a brace. Check out my 180 rehab thread in my signature area below. However, I only took the risk because the tank was going to be set up in an unfinished basement. GL

I will check it out, My buddy is making an angle iron stand for me as we speak to also act as a second brace across the bottom. I also have this in a unfinished basement :). I rent so it my was only option haha.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Tough break in the warranty. That's awful.

Normally I'd say slap a bandaid on it, but if your saying your stand was bad that leads me to believe there is something wrong with the tank's internal silicone between the glass. Plus 180g is too big to roll the dice on imo.

If you're not up for properly resealing the tank, maybe you could find a tank builder that you could pay to reseal it. I would imagine labor wouldn't be too bad. Check some local fish stores. I know some guys at the LFS who know how reseal tanks although they may not want to do it because of liability... doesn't hurt to ask, or post an ad on Craigslist. Who knows.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Every place I check tells my my upper and lower bracing as well as a new silicone job will do the trick. Lol every LFS just tires to sell me silicone.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Personally, since its going to be in an unfinished basement, I'd go for it and just reseal the inside with GE I.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store