Leaving your fish's lights on all night!

TrikkyMakk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
Tampa, Florida
navygirl76;3162198; said:
fish do sleep. they need that dark time to rest and destress. like others have stated, that much light isnt good for plants, and not healthy for the fish in the long run..

all of my tanks are set to timers- id suggest you get some, they are pretty cheap
I agree with this.

SaltyCrak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
earth
I got up this morning and it was still pitch black outside.
When I went to my oscar/tt tank, I noticed that the oscars were sleeping. Or at least appeared to be sleeping. They were chilling on the bed of the tank rather than swimming around.
As soon as I switched the light on, they came to life!
So that has convinced me that they really do need the darkness.

John Rambo

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Zagama Beach
SaltyCrak;3167974; said:
I got up this morning and it was still pitch black outside.
When I went to my oscar/tt tank, I noticed that the oscars were sleeping. Or at least appeared to be sleeping. They were chilling on the bed of the tank rather than swimming around.
As soon as I switched the light on, they came to life!
So that has convinced me that they really do need the darkness.

I have timers for some of my tanks and none for one in particular which I leave on for a few days at a time. I have not been able to tell a difference between the fish's activity in each of the tanks. It seems natural to provide darkness, but I dont see any bad results from leaving the lights on. (I did buy a timer for that one tank the other day though :D)

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
i leave for work at 3:40 am so my fish lights don't come on until I get home at 1:40pm as my wife is scared of the oscars lol

they then go off at 9 when I go to bed. seems to work for them.

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
Good thread. I turn on the lights whenever im in the room..otherwise they are off.

BPags52

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
On weekdays I work 9-6. I go home for my lunch breaks (usually get there around 1) and turn the lights on then. I leave them on when I go back to work...I assumed its not best to be turning the lights on/off multiple times a day. Depending how tired I am, between 10-11pm I turn out the regular lights and turn on the lunar lights, and I turn out the lunar lights when I go to bed (usually an hour or two after lunar lights go on).

On weekends it varies a bit. I turn the lights on not too long after I wake up (usually sleeping in on weekends...), and switch to lunar lights a bit later than on weekdays (midnight'ish), and lunar lights go off when I go to bed...

quintas14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2008
UK
fishfarm;3166331; said:
, even on moon less nights there is some starlight, go fishing during a full moon,the fish are not asleep. I really don't think it matters. Ken

Haha.. So if i'm watching fish on a moonless night, i might aswell be fishing for them under full moon light?

I think any other squadie on here will tell you that full, and no moon are totaly different!!

Lol

Every thing except seriously deep see fish use the lunar cycle...

meghanashley

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
NJ
you could use blue lights, for you night time viewing.

vaine111

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2009
Metro-Detroit
I leave a third of my tank lights on at night so my bichir don't eat my bass:D.
other then that they are on from abaout 5pm till 10-11pm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store