LED light recommendation!!!

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
I have marine land double brights. In general they are decent. Don't get them if you want actinic blue as these will appear to be more white.

Moon light is good, but they are on the same three way toggle switch so without DIY action, you can put a timer on the light so it goes from full light to moon light. You have to flip your switch yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bobkyaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2013
Singapore
What kind of tank are you using it on(salt, reef, planted, fw fish only)? I have a current-usa satellite+ on my lightly planted cichlid tank and couldn't be happier. I had the marineland double-bright before the satellite+ and the difference is night and day. I do not know salt so I can't comment on that but for fresh you want a full spectrum fixture, blue/white fixtures such as the double bright and beamworks equivalent will make your fish look washed out and lwave you disappointed.
For fresh water planted tank.

bobkyaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2013
Singapore
I have beamswork single brights and I love them. I don't think they make my fish looked washed out at all. Here is my juvi festae for reference.
View attachment 945907
This is with my SLR with no flash. That being said the new satellite LEDs do look amazing and the color options are a huge plus. I might try them after the timer comes out, but I will never part with my beamswork lights!
Wow... Nice Festae and I like EBJD in your avater. How big is he now and how long it take to reach that size?

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Another vouch for the Current Satellite + here, I love mine and having seen them side by side with a blue/white combo on a FW tank I'd say they are certainly worth every cent.

bobkyaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2013
Singapore
I have been researching for right LED.

Below article gives some understanding on plants and light even though it confusing and complicated.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Lighting.html

To sum up, this is what I understand from article.

PUR(usable light) is more important than PAR and Watt.
Photosynthesis use wavelength between 400-500 and 600-700.
Higher kelvin can penetrate better but may shift the spike in wavelength.

6500K is best for FW Planted. best growth below 12" depth.
9000-1000K for depth more than 12" but slower growth.

Marineland Single or Double:
-It use 1 watt LED. kelvin, wavelength?
-only 17,000 hours lifetime.

Marineland Aquatic Plant LED
-1 watt 6500K white and 3 watts RGB per LED, provides wavelength 460nm blue, 660nm red.
-50,000 hours lifetime.
seems like a good choice but expensive.

Current-USA Satellite+
-6500K white with full spectrum RGB, less than 1 watt per bulb.
-Lifetime? Wavelength?

Aqueon
Can't find info on this product.

BeamsWork
Can't find info either.

Aquaray Globeam or mini 400
-3W per LED 6500K, wavelength provide 400-500 spike and 600-700.
-50,000 lifetime.
-good choice but expensive

well, price per performance is matter as well.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
For fresh water planted tank.
My 125g has the 48" satellite+ and is having no problems growing green tiger lotus, amazon swords, onion plants and anubis. The tank has silver dollars, severum and a melanurus so I have been able to test more delicate high light plants.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Wow... Nice Festae and I like EBJD in your avater. How big is he now and how long it take to reach that size?
The EBJD was exactly 7.5" when I lost him 2 years ago. He was 3 years old.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store