LED lighting - what are my options?

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
Question for yall...on ebay I am looking for some 30w ones. Some have there cool white listed at 55-65k...some say 55-6k...some say 6-7k. Do you think the K is really different on each one...or they are all the same with different listing for the K. Trying to decide if I want the cheapest ones or the ones with the K I want (higher K)

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
Well I got them in and hooked up today. They were packed so so but no damage. The only issue was a few loose screws and the ballast in one is loose. It looks like it is just silicone in the housing. The color tho...altho its white...it still is kinda yellow for my taste on the tank...and kinda washes out some of the color on some fish. I am not done fooling with them tho. It might e something that I would have to supplant with some sort of nice T5 or something. Almost like back in the reef days when you would run a6500k bulb and actinics. Not great pics...ill get more...I have been trying them on different tanks with different effects. I really wish they made higher K's in this thing it would be perfect.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
So I am going to send these back...not quite going to work for me. But I am looking at DIY kits now and there are some that have option on LED color...5500k 6500k and 10k along with blue and red. This is what im looking at...will probably cost more but have better results I think. http://www.aquastyleonline.com/

Once I figure how many LEDs I think would be needed to cover a 300 tall im going to have to figure what color combo. Anyone have any input that would be great. Just 10k and blue....or mix in some 6500k as well?? I am kinda thinking two 72 LED kits...I might get the heat sinks from someone else so they will be around 10"x18" with 36 3w leds on each. That would make them about 108w each and with the heat sinks im looking at it would be about 680. If I got 4 of those 100w led flood lights off ebay it would be more and not the right color so this might be good. I might go down to the 24 LED for 72w of light.

pupumole

In Loving Memory
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
sfbay
okay all you lighting experts that have been messing around with the LED floodlight. Give me some suggestion on what I should do. I'm currently running on 4 hagen glo double tube t5 48" on my two 360g (8x3x 2 ) and 180g (6x2x2) in my garage .... which is 108w each. I feel like I'm using a bit too much wattage. I would like to get a much nicer natural dimmer glow with shimmering effects . Don't really want a super tight spotlight circle but I do want the edges of the tank to be dimmer than the center. The tanks are all 24" deep, and I don't have any plants, but I do want to bring out the fish's color as much as possible. Let me know what you guys think. Heres the diagram of what I had in mind. Which way would look nicest ( and somewhat importantly--- cheapest! xD )
i'm also not sure of the coverage of the different wattage flood light. from this thread, it seems like the 30w has really good coverage over a relatively large area. And I'm aware that i should hang it or mount it on the ceiling or some distance above the tank.

lighting configuration.jpg

lighting configuration.jpg

JamesF

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Thunder Bay
Option 2 is your best, but over an 8' tank two lights is not going to be enough. Same with only one over a 6' tank. I have 4 over my 130 gallon 6' tank. I do have plants, but even without plants, I'd want three. It give you a bright tank with dimmer areas near the top and sides. Makes it look like there are overhanging logs blocking the light.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store