leeches ?

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
i was just feeding my rays live blk worms and i had noticed what it looked to be leeches in the bottom of the tray of the worms. naturally it was too late and i feed them then notice the leeches ( brownish in color and oval like in shape) well now i am concerned for infection. should i treat with prazi pro or something or just keep a eye on the tank. i just got one motoro back to health in that tank that people did not think there was a chance for recovery.

thanks
john

grapedinox

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Spokane Wa
I also once noticed this in my black worms I asked my LFS if there was a problem and she said no it was pretty common and that the rays would eat it with no ill effects. Now mind you this was comming from a LFS but I have had no problems with my rays eating the leeches and they have had several that I know of. Hope that helps some.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Just watch your rays. If the leeches get on them remove them. Problem with them eating them is that parasites love to travel via leeches! Of course you probably run the same risk with black worms too...

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Those guys come in with black worms all the time and I've fed them to my fish hundreds of times with no issues..

Don't think they are leeches or nemotodes.. I am not sure what they are, but they are harmless like gambrosia (sp?) or planaria..

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I noticed them too in the black worm order I recently purchased. I am thinking they are leeches, but maybe they aren't?

Stingingrays

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
www.myspace.com
JD7.62;1412554; said:
Just watch your rays. If the leeches get on them remove them. Problem with them eating them is that parasites love to travel via leeches! Of course you probably run the same risk with black worms too...

I doubt that you would run a risk of get parasites from blackworms, beings that they(the blackworms) need very clean water. I get them all the time in my weekly orders of blackworms, none of my rays have ever had a problem with them and always eats them.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Umm maybe Im wrong but last time I checked parasites can live in clean water too. :screwy: Of course that is unless you mean the water from the supplier of black worms is clean of parasites.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store