Legalize Asian Arowana petition

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Just keep them illegal. I see too many irresponsible people locally not have a clue on what to do with silvers and jars.
It'd be a shame to keep adding casualties.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Umm...nobody's been releasing Asian arowanas in the waters. Doubtful they will be an invasive species. The reason why Asian Arowanas are banned because of CITIES and Lacey Act. Not because it is invasive species.
pretty sure they would do fairly okay for themselves in the southern states, but you're right. I'm just saying that more **** should be banned than already is and then cited a reason for why I think that.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Just keep them illegal. I see too many irresponsible people locally not have a clue on what to do with silvers and jars.
It'd be a shame to keep adding casualties.

+1 on this. Look at all the arapaimas that are sold compared to the few that are adults and thriving. I can count the amount of happy adult pimas in private collections on 1 hand and maybe a few extra fingers but that compared to the thousands of babies sold is nothing.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
If you guys in the US want Asian aros that bad why not get the 2000+ people who sign to put in $200 each to hire a lawyer to get it sent to court

$200 is nothing as you are pushing for a fish that may cost close to $1500

If you want it that bad get a fund running as I feel if it went to court and you can show all fish being imported was captive bred I feel you might have a case to answer

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I doubt that'll change anything. Pretty sure they'll never be legal here until they're off CITES

I don't think they will ever be of the list because yes they are being bred but none are being set free so the wild population will never recover

You only need to find a lawyer who also wants Asian aro and he may work for free
I know it won't apply to different states but if you get one state to allow them then it will be more easy to get the other states to follow

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
If you want to legalize Asian Arowana in the US, spend the money to fund the study that will show their wild population is increased and they should be taken off of the endangered species list. That is THE only way around it.

Sadly, the wild population is down the last I read - so that won't happen. Captive populations/captive bred means nothing in regard to this law. So the other thing you'll need to do is set up areas that stay protected and re-establish wild populations (not the hybrid and line bred color morphs in the pet trade).

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Does anyone know why they aren't trying to increase the wild pop even though they're being captive bred in such huge numbers?

They can't rerelease captive breed asian aros and none nowadays are purebreed. malaysian gold xback are not 100% pure blood as it's been mix many times with RTG to give it a massive body shape. Wild caughts malaysian gold xback are have slender body shape almost like a body of a leichardti but you see malaysian gold xback being sold with massive body. That was the first purpose but the early result turns out to be the hbrtg. Then cross it again with malaysian gold xback for many generation back and forth. Some even have the super red blood line in them to give them the wider or longer pectoral fins. So rereleasing them back is not a good idea as they are now man made. Also none of the farms seems to want to put an effort to breed wild caughts as the population are so few in the wild that you end up inbreeding even wild caught. Causing it to have many health problems once it's in the wild.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Does anyone know why they aren't trying to increase the wild pop even though they're being captive bred in such huge numbers?

Because the captive bred types are nothing like the wild strains and by letting captive bred strains free it may mess up what's left

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store