Leleupi.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Just added 4 small Leleupi to my 150g Frontosa tank.
I was a bit scared they would get eaten at the start, the biggest Frontosa is about 30cm, and theres also 2 females of about 20cm, and 1 of about 16. Well they seem to be getting along well.

I have only had these fish about 1 day, but i really like them, and would like to maybe add some more in the furture? I have heard these fish are quite aggressive towards echother, and have seen it in person too, and it should get even worse if they pair up. I have however seen tanks with good amount of large breeding leleupi, so was thinking maybe i could add some more, what do you guys think? They are all about 4cm right now.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They should do well as long as there are enough caves for them to stake out their own territories.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
They should do well as long as there are enough caves for them to stake out their own territories.
Hey Krichardson, they have alot of caves, and they already have found some they like, and tomorrow i will add some more good caves. Do you know how big they have to be before they can be sexed?

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Except for difference in size, Leulupi has no external sexual difference. I would say you have to wait till they are 2 to 3 inch to tell male and female apart. Males would have outgrown females substantially by then. Big males can reach 4 inch with a small hump and female around 2 inch. Leulupi are my perennial favorite and I always keep them with large Africans and Vieja species. If you give them enough caves and grow up together with Fronts, they will get used together and don't see each other as prey or predictor.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Except for difference in size, Leulupi has no external sexual difference. I would say you have to wait till they are 2 to 3 inch to tell male and female apart. Males would have outgrown females substantially by then. Big males can reach 4 inch with a small hump and female around 2 inch. Leulupi are my perennial favorite and I always keep them with large Africans and Vieja species. If you give them enough caves and grow up together with Fronts, they will get used together and don't see each other as prey or predictor.
Thank you, the Frontosa dont seem to mind the Leleupi at all, which trust me, im happy about. Im wondering if i should add more Leleupi than 4?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm not sure if it is so much a matter of "should" as opposed to do you want to add more and have the space to sustain them all.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I'm not sure if it is so much a matter of "should" as opposed to do you want to add more and have the space to sustain them all.
Haha yeh, id like to add more, caves and hiding spots are not a problem, so many caves, they can use and adding more. Dimensions are 160cm x 55 x 60cm / 63 x 21 x 24 inches.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
They look good. I'd say you could add a few more, but once they pair off, even a 150G will be small for two or three pairs. They like their space.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store