Leo maturity?

michael

Tri-State Fish Hoarder
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Dirty Jersey
At roughly what disc size would you say a male or female leo is mature?(ready to breed)

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
I wouldn't say it is disk size, but rather age. I don't know the exact age when they become mature, but I have had a fully mature 9in male motoro, and a 12in that wasn't anywhere close to being mature.

My mature one though was captive bred and just a little over a year old. No idea of the age on the bigger male I had.

Herb

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2005
Victoria BC Canada
Hi Michael

I am wondering the same thing I have had couple male for
for 8 months now , I figure they had to be 4 months old at least when I got them.
I have had the females almost 2 years now.

Deathcurl

BOO!!!
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
NYC
I've seen small leos with fully rolled claspers...and large leos that haven't hit puberty. Tough to tell....The majority of mature rays were more along the lines of 14-16 inches in diameter though.

reefraymaster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
Chardon
to b safe i would say 18 inches, this may seem conservative but i say that because at that size, the female can bear pups w/out putting alot of stress on her body. also she will be putting more nutrition into the pups (whic means better quality pups) instead of her putting the nutrition into her growing

michael

Tri-State Fish Hoarder
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Dirty Jersey
one left....

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I had a breeding leo pair at 14" each. But I'd say over all that was pretty small.

And I'm sure that could have gone the other way, but it's late and I'm lacking in humor right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store