Lepisosteidae.net

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
i was under the impression that spotted gars had longer noses? the illustrations show otherwise. or am i wrong?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
thanks very much for the comments everyone, updates should be coming in the very near future!

xander13;2805670; said:
i was under the impression that spotted gars had longer noses? the illustrations show otherwise. or am i wrong?
illustrations do indicate a slightly longer snout in oculatus...and that would be a correct depiction between species--
--solomon

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
hi all,

just wanted to let you guys know that there have been updates made to the site...primarily in the literature/reference section in case you guys want to look up a lot of the gar papers that have been published in scientific journals. i will be adding references from the popular literature in the near future as well.

research units and people have also been updated. more pics will be coming soon for reference, etc.--
--solomon

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
I really like the illustrations too. Most other ones I've seen don't seem to show much difference between them. This site is very helpful, thanks for the link.

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
bookmarked for future study of all updates. nice solomon

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
species profile work has begun; preliminary basic info on all Lepisosteus species is up and running. will be adding more photo/nat hist/eco information in the near future. new images by Joe Tomelleri are also up in each profile when applicable.--
--solomon

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
small request, when time allows im sure it is in the pipeline anyway but is it possible to include any information on breeding and suitable pond setups please? im egar to get the info digested and get so trops for a new project.... not to mention it would be great to have this information in the public domain.

great job ith the site guys!

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
ermgravy;2866774; said:
small request, when time allows im sure it is in the pipeline anyway but is it possible to include any information on breeding and suitable pond setups please? im egar to get the info digested and get so trops for a new project.... not to mention it would be great to have this information in the public domain.

great job ith the site guys!
That is in the works for Primitivefishes which is a bit more hobby oriented. Just none of us has time these days....

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
as richard mentioned more hobby-oriented stuff will be going to primitivefishes.com, not that that means there won't be plenty of scientific stuff added there in the near future as well.
for the gar site i'll be posting more references to gar aquaculture as well as some of the popular media (the two TFH articles on gars, one of which deals with spawning Florida gars), and other books.
what we're able to actually post in pdf file format online will depend on copyrights, etc. i'll definitely be putting up the TFH t-gar article i wrote sometime in the near future.

as of now the preliminar species profiles have been put up for all Lepisosteus species and for the alligator gar. will be working on the fossil gars as well--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store