Lets talk hybrids

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Just going to point out, "man eating super snake" didn't get it quite right. From what I have heard, hybrids between the two are actually smaller, and are sometimes (I don't know how frequently, or if its typical) sterile. Either way, afrocks, burms, or any hybrid of the two have negligible impact on the environment, or people when compared to agriculture, cats, pollution, and development for homes.
Thanks for educating me, I was actually hesitant about mentioning the Rock/Burms because I had a feeling the whole thing was sensationalized.

As far as their impact being negligible, while true; I don't think it means that aspect of creating hybrids should be ignored. Much like I don't litter despite the fact that my impact on the environment is negligible when compared to other environmental threats. Maybe I'm stupidly idealistic but that's the frame of mind I prefer, rather then weighing the consequences of an action as an excuse to do the lesser of two evils. Now I'm not saying that's what your doing but I figure it's better to put out an idealistic mindset, then a depressing truth.

Edwardo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
They give the higher end more expensive python hybrids new names, as an example they advertise the retic/burmese cross as a bateater, the green tree python/ carpet python cross is called a carpondro, and they are headlined as such, there are also a few more.
I dont see this with the much less expensive and affordable colubrid crosses, they usually just say hybrid and then list the two species used in making the cross, maybe the do have names for them now and I just haven't noticed, but its just something Ive noticed and thought it might be worth mentioning while on the subject of hybrids.

foto69man

Candiru
MFK Member
The species that I like really don't have many hybrids...so I'm not swayed either way really.

The gene pool as is in the captive circles is already a little lacking considering the way certain breeding techniques are used to get specific morphs. And for dogs...all thos 'Designer Breeds' are just hybrids or their common name, mutts. They seem to do well and not receive any negativity.

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
The species that I like really don't have many hybrids...so I'm not swayed either way really.

The gene pool as is in the captive circles is already a little lacking considering the way certain breeding techniques are used to get specific morphs. And for dogs...all thos 'Designer Breeds' are just hybrids or their common name, mutts. They seem to do well and not receive any negativity.
Actually lots of dogs have been bred to a point that they do not live as long and have health issues due to their traits being bred to an extreme. Thats why things like pugs aren't appreciated by the people who love them for what they are.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I think fish keeping be allot better with out them. fine if you keep them at home till they die and never release for sale, trade or barter. they muddy the industry, hate to by a little JD and find its a convict JD mix. keep your muts at home. IMHO

Edwardo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
It kinda boggles the mind a little bit, how people now a days will go out and drop $500 or even thousands of dollars on a designer dog breed, when in reality its nothing more then a mongrel. (Nothing against the dogs.)
I dont think the fact that its a hybrid really matters to alot of folks,(to some it does), they see something they looks cool, they want it, they buy it.
The wow factor seems very important these days, we as a society have changed.

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
It kinda boggles the mind a little bit, how people now a days will go out and drop $500 or even thousands of dollars on a designer dog breed, when in reality its nothing more then a mongrel. (Nothing against the dogs.)
I dont think the fact that its a hybrid really matters to alot of folks,(to some it does), they see something they looks cool, they want it, they buy it.
The wow factor seems very important these days, we as a society have changed.
While I mostly agree with you, I have a purebred australian shepherd. The difference between her and other purebreds is that she was made to work. Not to look good (though she is the prettiest dog I've ever seen) I don't love her for her genetics, I love her for her.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I think Hybrids are mostly just meh, but can be spectacular (not reptiles, but just think of stingray hybrids!) It's all down to personal preference, nobody should be able to say "hybrids are good" or "hybrids are bad" just like that..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store