LFS rant its so hard to support

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If any MFK members ever visit Cleveland Ohio , my favorite LFS is Somethingfishy owned by Dave Hale, not only does he list prices on every tank Dave will even make offer's. Mr. Hale is a very nice person to deal with, and he has a hatchery that can be seen by request :D

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
wow you're actually lucky to live in driving distance to Spencer. He imports some of the most exotic fish for the best prices.
I know i am very fortunate! without spencer Id probably not have expanded into the addiction as well! I would've been strictly salt and wish I could get cool stuff!
You should of enlighten him on the price. Let him know what they go for then made him a reasonable offer. If i'm interested in a fish I will tell them if the price is to high. I always make an offer nothing to lose they can say no or come back with a counter offer.
No you have to meet the guy. He doesn't accept offers or "enlightenment." I have tried before and he just says oh no but my stock is........ He also doesn't even seem like he likes customers. When I asked jokingly for $30 he just said they are $100 and turned his back to me so I just left. Horrible service. He got mad at me for trying to haggle $5 of an albino senegal a year ago saying its over priced. He did end up selling it to me for $5 off but said no refund if it dies. Those same bichirs are still there from a year ago
may i ask where this was? i'm in winnipeg too, but i haven't been anywhere other than spencers store in a long time.
PM'd you

A little more response then i was expecting on this thread for a vent lol

I am not against supporting the store or paying a few extra dollars but I dont want to pay extreme over prices! I may have been willing to go $60 on the bichirs if he even showed any good service.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Sux to hear. My lfs owner is so cool, he's driving out to the farm to pick up a whole list of fish for members of our local group He'll be stocking up himself while there, but actually posted on our groups page when he saw several members were going to split shipping in a group buy or drive the hour and a half themselves.....

Here's the kicker.....he's picking up a group of Beani for me and I don't get back ion town for another 2 weeks. Gonna set them up in the back for me till I get home.....

I consider myself lucky.....

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Went to a LFS I normally go to about 40 mins away from me... they had like 2" Peacock bass for I think around $15... then they had a single 4" Peacock bass for $100! Thought the price for the small ones was decent, but a HUGE jump for the 4" fish... Seemed unreasonable to me.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Went to a LFS I normally go to about 40 mins away from me... they had like 2" Peacock bass for I think around $15... then they had a single 4" Peacock bass for $100! Thought the price for the small ones was decent, but a HUGE jump for the 4" fish... Seemed unreasonable to me.
That depends on the species....

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
That depends on the species....
Didn't have any species listed (just said Cichla), and knowing this store, good chance it was a hybrid. It's a semi chain store, I think there are 3 or so stores in the region, and that's it. Prices are high on supplies, little high on fish, but they have decent variety, and keep species separated and somewhat labeled better than Petco...

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Adamson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
Switzerland
One particular shop I like to go to has decent prices and selection but piss poor customer service.I recently bought a few items and fish there and when I got to the counter I looked my fish over and decided not to get one of them.The cashier,who's name must have been Captain Obvious,said,"well the fish is already bagged and ready"to which I answered,"yeah I can see that but I don't see the problem with me changing my mind".She actually rolled her eyes and mumbled something under her breath as she rang up and bagged my items.That fish that I ended up not getting must have really ruined her day,and she didn't even catch and bag it.
Clearly you have never worked in customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Clearly you are wrong as I have worked in customer service.As a matter of fact I have worked in a pet store and I know it is no big deal if a customer has a fish caught and bagged and gets to the check out counter before deciding he or she no longer wishes to purchase the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store