LFS won't stock CA/SA Cichlids

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
From another thread, Frank said "the store refuses to carry large aggressive".

Yep, same thing at my LFS. I've noticed this for a while now. They just won't even consider stocking CA/SA cichlids. Why?

If I bring 6-8 6 inch Breidhori, or Argentea, to an LFS.......they can't sell those? Way too often, in many cities, I walk into a fish store, I'll see plenty of African tanks, but CA/SA cichlids will be pretty sparse. What tanks they do have, they'll have 2 inch fish.

I've heard how mean African's are, they fight a lot, right?

Why is it harder to sell CA/SA Cichlids than Africans?

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
I totally agree, my assumption is that ca/say can get much larger in size and most people don't have the means to properly house a full grown ca/sa. Just my .02

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
The market is smaller for SA/CA. Also their size vs the general aquarium size. Compatibility issues, unlike Africans where you can just mix and match many different colors of mbuna or peacocks. (Obviously I realize there it's an issue too but much easier to deal with in my opinion)
Also I think price is an issue too. Alot of "general fish keepers" would refuse to pay big money on big fish. Especially fresh water fish. Or you get people that buy them. Then everything in their tank dies and next thing you know their at the store cussing out the shopkeeper (I've personally seen this happen)
And my final thought is storing issues, I think it's hard for some fish shops to set aside tankspace for one or two fish that could be used to accommodate a number of different smaller fish. Or just not worth the money.

I could be way totally off base. But that's just my opinion. I think my biggest problem is, at least around me. The petstore mostly have the same exact SA/CA's there isn't very much variety. Same old jack Dempsey, Oscars, Convicts, Firemouths, with an occasional Texas or Jag thrown in. All very small in size and usually in the same tank so half the time their fins are all torn up and not super attractive.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting,I was under the impression that American cichlids are far more popular and profitable than the African cichlids.

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Obviously I can't speak for everywhere. But in my area there are 3 African tanks to every one Ca/Sa tanks at the petshops, Roughly of course lol.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Same here. My lfs frequently has small CA/SA stock but it is generally the run of the mill stuff that you can find at Petsmart or Petco. They do often have chocolates, synspilum, midevils and a variety of geophagus but theses guys seem to stay there for ever when they carry them. I have no idea how they determine what they carry because occasionally they have rtc hybrid, tsn, and alligator gar in stock. Fortunately every first Tuesday of the month is fish swap day, and you can occasionally find something really nice there.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
I think the main reason is because most casual hobbyists are looking for something that's pretty now. They go into the LFS, look for the tanks with the prettiest fish and that's what they want. African cichlids tend to color up much faster than CA/SA counterparts.

That or they just don't realize how much color can be found in some of the CA/SA cichlids if they just have a little bit of patience.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with tank size that will be required. I imagine most of these LFS that don't carry ca/sa cichlids probably do carry bala sharks, clown loaches, pacus, irridescent sharks etc.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Good point Jason.

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
I agree w/ Jason - most CA's just don't look great for quite a while. But I think aggression plays a role as well. I can find SA sometimes - for CA the pickins get very slim

Southjerseycichlidz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
Mine only carries a few I asked why he said because people bring them back and want a million dollars for there 10
Inch Oscar with hole in the head. He also doesn't have many tanks that would be suitable for fish of that size

Reactions: Covetous
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store