Lids for fiberglass tanks

MooseTheWizard

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Canada
I am looking to upgrade my bichirs from their current 120g and 150g homes into an 8'x12' footprint. I was looking at some quotes from places like customaquariums, but it didn't make sense to me to pay $10,000+ USD for an aquarium, when I've just replaced the windows in my entire home for $12,000.

I've been looking into plywood and fiberglass aquariums for quite awhile, but am looking to pull the trigger on something. If I were to build a wooden aquarium, I would likely follow the design seen in some of AquariumDomain's videos, where he uses stacked and interlocking 2x4s as the walls of the tank. I am a huge fan of things being bulletproof and lasting forever. Building a wooden aquarium is no problem, and I really like the idea that it would be totally customizable. The only drawback is my current fish room is temporary while I work on building out my garage into a permanent fish room. This project will likely take at least a year longer given the scope of the job.

So the large aquarium I build now needs to be easily movable, and fiberglass aquariums fit the bill perfectly for that. Not to mention that given my habit of overbuilding, a fiberglass and wooden aquarium come up to about the same cost all in.

I have been looking at the FT523W2 from Pentair, which looks perfect. I saw a video by Cowturtle where he had some gars and rays, and I'm sold on the set up and the cost. My only question is how people are tackling lids for these aquariums? I've seen a few of them set up, but no one shows the lid!

I've currently got a rubbermaid 150g pond housing an ornate bichir, and I am using corrugated polycarbonate greenhouse paneling as a lid, held down by bungie cords so the bichir cannot just knock the lid off. It's functional, but very ugly and a huge pain to feed, light, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas, or better yet, does anyone have fish in these tanks with a lid for large, jumping fish? My current thinking is to drill in some acrylic or plastic blocks around the inner rim, and be able to set those polycarbonate panels in slightly recessed, so they sit flush with the lip of the aquarium.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
This was my fibreglass tank all finished ready to be moved to its final resting place. I built a plinth for it to sit on so the viewing window was higher, and built a lid with removable panels in. The lid framework was 2x2 wood. The centre top panel is 3 ply corrugated polycarbonate roofing, not that flimsy crap. The top panels around the edges are heavy gauge black plastic sheets which I picked up from work. The whole thing just sits on top of my tank, it's heavy and no jumpers are going to move it.

20190623_101805.jpg

MooseTheWizard

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Canada
This was my fibreglass tank all finished ready to be moved to its final resting place. I built a plinth for it to sit on so the viewing window was higher, and built a lid with removable panels in. The lid framework was 2x2 wood. The centre top panel is 3 ply corrugated polycarbonate roofing, not that flimsy crap. The top panels around the edges are heavy gauge black plastic sheets which I picked up from work. The whole thing just sits on top of my tank, it's heavy and no jumpers are going to move it.
I really like the look of this compared to the pentair tanks. Where did you get it from?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I'm in the uk and that's where mines from, a company called Junglepets, so unfortunately not much good to you.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
You can use hydraulic lift arms to make lifting hinged heavy lids very easy. There is a wide range of length and weight capacity available.

Could also have small feed holes to reduce the amount of lid lifting required.

For species that like to climb or jump, I use a canopy box (effectively raising the tank sides well above the water line so the access hatch is not from top. This keeps the heat and humidity in yet allows me to have easy access. Some of my tanks require a walkway across. If your tank is 8 foot wide, you might need one too?

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
It appears bullfrogaquatics now has fiberglass tanks in the US, they are more expensive than pentair but much nicer. I would probably make some makeshift bracing by gluing wood into 3 sections and just cut some plexiglass or acrilyic to set over in sections

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
It appears bullfrogaquatics now has fiberglass tanks in the US, they are more expensive than pentair but much nicer. I would probably make some makeshift bracing by gluing wood into 3 sections and just cut some plexiglass or acrilyic to set over in sections
I will put out a disclaimer I have not seen anyone on here with a tank from them, only others talk about them as they were UK based. A quick google search shows a store in the middle of Oklahoma that’s really listed as a Spa store for hot tubs so idk, my antennas are up a bit. They might be more updated on Facebook

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Coincidentally, I was working on lids for my sump just this morning, using the clear corrugated greenhouse panels. I'm cutting them about two inches larger in both dimensions than the sump top, and then trimming off that extra inch all the way around but leaving little one-inch tabs or ears at several points, on the top flat section of the corrugation. The idea is for the lid to be recessed just under the lip of the sump, supported by the ears sitting on the top edge.

Haven't yet found the fly in the ointment, but I'm sure there will be one...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store