Life with Miniature "Monsters" - Small Fish can be a BIG deal too!

Manny Stiles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Sometimes, I pretend my 36 gallon tank is a 360 gallon tank with 1/10th the work!

What is a "monster" fish afterall? Is it big compared to you? Big compared to other fish? Big enough to eat an unwanted litter of kittens? Or is it just something about the fish that adds a little fear and drama to your tanks?

And why all this obsession with bigger, better, faster, more anyway? Eh?

My first tank was given to me by a friend who had too many big fish in a 36 gallon tank. He bought them a couple years ago when they were cute and small but like fish often do, they grew like cancer. He was overwhelmed and distraught by the upkeep and since my daughter and I had always admired his tank when we visited he gave the entire setup to us for Christmas!

Hell of a guy! Now I had too many big fish in too small a tank to deal with... but I had bigger worries... I was now an aquarium owner!

Well, I'll save the story of how getting a free aquarium turned into an obsession and two more tanks with (I'm sure) more to come for later. I was wise enough to trade many of the fish that were overbearing the tank for supplies instead of more fish. I wanted to take time to figure out what this tank's purpose was going to be...

I tried different combinations - many unsuccessfully - and even bred a few species until I picked up a larger tank (thanks, desparate for cash guy on craigslist!) and transferred the remaining fish crowding the tank to the bigger tank where they have prospered ever since.

But I didn't know what to do with the original tank... At first I went with a short lived run as a blue crayfish specimin tank - a nerve racking, ill-timed and expensive lesson that genuinely sucked. I just couldn't figure out what to do with a 36 gallon tank! It was too big to be a quarrantine tank and too small to keep anything "cool" in it. So I used it specifically for breeders for a while... but soon that became boring too.

Now I have many hobbies besides aquaculture. One day while trimming some of my bonsai plants, it hit me! The purpose of bonsai is to make a small tree look big by making it stay small. Why not apply the same concept to the little tank? Make the tank bigger by making it's habitation smaller!!! Now I had a purpose.

My goal was to stuff it full of little teeny fish that wouldn't grow large and make a teeny calm, relaxing ecosystem out of it. To make it appear how a larger tank with larger fish would look. But to maintain that status.

It started 3 bucks worth of 50 cent danios. They didn't last long, but the seeds were sewn!

I eventually jammed it with 19 neon tetras and 4 blue tetras and several varieties of shrimp as well as a gaggle of ghosties. I bought the smallest pleco I could find - when he got big, he moved to the bigger tank and was replaced by another miniature pleco. I added a couple of tiny corys and a tiny clown loach after a snail breakout (problem solved) and a giant African filter shrimp (who is still the largest inhabitant of the tank at about 3 1/2 inches) for fun and even got some bumblebee cats and an otoclincus cat. I have about 40 inches of fish and inverts in a 36 gallon tank and it looks full of color yet it is PLENTY spacious at the same time!

It was this little tank teeming with colorful life. And if I just sat much closer to it and/or whipped out a magnifying glass, it was a GIANT tank with TONS of HUGE fish in it!@!! Yeah, I'm weird... sue me.

Now I've gone through some adjustments here and there - I lost a few neons to a little thing called "LFS neons tend to die easily" but the rest are the plumpest blue and red little suckers I've seen! And the blue tetras were wound up too tight and made the rest of the tank nervous so they eventually became dinner in the new big tank. I tried mini gourami and giant danio experiments that failed miserably - but I gotta tell ya, working in miniatures has been more rewarding to me than keeping a single giant fish or two ever would.

I now have a little water city of teeny, little "monsters" that I can get lost in by watching. And my kids LOVE that tank more than the other two. Then again, it is closer to their eye level and my kids are a touch obsessed with ghost shrimp because they "fly like helicopters"... With all those little bassturds moving around there's so much activity yet the tank is overall very calm and peaceful to watch.

Wanna know the best part of working in miniatures? They are the cheapest fish you can buy (not including the weird and exotic shrimp)!!! Hell, most of the fish I got were through trade or adopted for free! And your LFS Will gladly trade a bigger one for a small one if they can sell the bigger one! Besides, if they don't work in your tank they become "delicacy" feeders for your "other" monsters... Don't your other "monsters" deserve a little exotic variety now and then?

Some people construct ships in a bottle that won't float or huff glue while building plastic scale models of their dream cars, some people build gingerbread houses for little cookie people; not me... I keep a bunch of teeny, weeny monsterfish!!!

PLEASE tell me I'm not the only person who loves the "lil' monsters"?!?!?!

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
I totally agree with your comments. I especially like the bonsai analogy ;)
I too love the little fish with monster attitudes. I have my big guys, but also have the little ones. I keep the rainbows of the genus Pseudomugil, Marosatherina and Iriatherina,also killi's are great little fish with big personality.

Welcome to the board :)

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
wow, that was quite the post! You are right. Monster Fish are monsters not necessarily because of size, but by attitude. Welcome!

duke33

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2007
WV
I keep a 55 like that. I sit and watch it as much as the 300. Tetras, gouramies,corys, angels, probably 50 fish. The Golden Gouramie at 3" being the alpha.

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
Onion01;1401678; said:
wow, that was quite the post! You are right. Monster Fish are monsters not necessarily because of size, but by attitude. Welcome!
I disagree with you, not because a fish have certain attitude nor their size affect their status of earning the place of being a monster.

Its depend on whether you seen the fish before or not.

If the person think it is.. then it is..

Just like Frankestein, hes above average in size, but hes nice, so how come people still call him a monster? :D Because he looks weird? one of a kind? and people never seen him before?

Just like if you haven't seen a neon tetra before, and now you see one. You might think its weird with all those neon color. Then you might say its a weird fish or weird little monster, cause of the bright coloration on the body ;)

Manny Stiles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I don't think a neon tetra will ever frighten anyone... well, anyone that isn't frightened by rainbows, snowflakes or butterflies.

I wonder if color blind people ever buy neon tetras...

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
This isn't the first post I've seen that puts out that "hey man, the little fish rock too!" attitude.

I don't understand why people join MFK and then feel that the little common fish deserve more respect. This site is dedicated to the rare, the predatory, and yes, the large.

Guppies, tetras, etc.. etc.. just are not the reason MFK was established. If small peaceful community fish are your thing, awesome: kick rocks and check out AC, which is exactly what you're looking for. They can't get enough of tiger barbs and tetras. :ROFL:

Taking the hobby to the next level means getting past the novelty of the little brightly colored fish that are a dime a dozen, and instead housing some uncommon behemoths and being able to maintain their setup. :D

Now don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate small fish too. But I understand MFK isn't the place to post about them. I have a thing for bettas. I never post about them here because they're better suited to be posted on a betta forum or over at Aquaria Central. :)

Manny Stiles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Cohazard;1402134; said:
This isn't the first post I've seen that puts out that "hey man, the little fish rock too!" attitude.

I don't understand why people join MFK and then feel that the little common fish deserve more respect. This site is dedicated to the rare, the predatory, and yes, the large.

Now don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate small fish too. But I understand MFK isn't the place to post about them. I have a thing for bettas. I never post about them here because they're better suited to be posted on a betta forum or over at Aquaria Central. :)
Uhh... ok. I actually joined this site because of the plethora of crustacean info. I am a writer by nature - I tell stories - sometimes they're even true stories. I wanted to write about small things and making them seem big. My focus is to share and entertain, not pronounce my masculinity by basing it on the fish I keep.

I don't care what fish you or anyone else maintains. The information contained in this forum is invaluable to aquariasts of all variety, nes pas?

And this is not the first time I've heard the "You shouldn't post that here" attitude - an attitude that makes it easier for decent writers to go to other websites and share their brand of fun. Don't like it? THEN DON'T READ IT!

Don't be a pretentious prick to me, I can do that to myself better than you can.

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
Cohazard;1402134; said:

Guppies, tetras, etc.. etc.. just are not the reason MFK was established. If small peaceful community fish are your thing, awesome: kick rocks and check out AC, which is exactly what you're looking for. They can't get enough of tiger barbs and tetras. :ROFL:

Taking the hobby to the next level means getting past the novelty of the little brightly colored fish that are a dime a dozen, and instead housing some uncommon behemoths and being able to maintain their setup. :D

so keeping things like Cardinal Tetra, Discus (they arent big and aggressive) isnt advance enough to be posted here? :eek: Thats cool to know :)

i wonder y they have a discus forum here :eek:

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
i totally agree.
i dont have extra tanks for small fish.
but when i was keeping small fish i must say that they had a great attitude.
its the same as how i say payaras are just big tetras.
just drop some brine shrimp into the tank and watch them kill!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store