Lighting for growing out african cichlid colors?

Polarize

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2008
New York
So I recently purchased a number of young african cichlids (juvies) ranging from an inch to 2 inches (blue zebras, pink peacocks, eurekas, ob peacocks) and I put them in a tank with white lighting and light gravel. Their colors don't seem to be that vibrant. They looked much more colorful when I bought them. The water conditions seem okay. So I was wondering if the amount of lighting and type of lighting would make a difference in their coloring when they mature since I read an article some time ago about the differences exposure to lighting can cause in the color of angelfishes as they grow up. What can I do to help enhance the colors of my african cichlids as they mature?

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
As they mature the color of the peacocks will get better if male. If they were small and showing color then they may have been hormoned, and if that is the case, they will never so great color again. Where did you get them, and how big are they?

swk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2009
Sonoma county
How long have you had them? It can take a week or more for fish to relax and color up after they've been moved

Polarize

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2008
New York
Got them from a local breeder a few days ago. Pretty sure they have not been hormoned since they're around an inch or two and colors have yet to come out...some are plain grey, but I guess that is to be expected of juvies. The blue in the zebras are kinda light, but hopefully will color up as they mature. Was just wondering if the color of gravel or frequency of lighting could cause their colors to turn out differently (apparently that is the case with angelfishes).

Wimmels

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holland
www.wimmels.com
Malawi's don't need extra lighting. Any reason we put lights above malawi fish is due to esthetic reasons (we want to have a nice look at the fish).

If you want your fish to color up, give them time to grow and give them good varied food.

In Lake Malawi it is no exception for Mbuna to live at depths of 10 meters. Light tends to fade away at these depths due to sediment floating in the water.

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
You mentioned some mbuna in your last post. They will show color once settled and having good food. The peacocks will only show color if male, not overly harassed by other fish, and once larger.

Polarize

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2008
New York
Thanks for the input guys. I guess they settled down a bit since their colors seem better. Anyhow, I was recommended to feed them what the breeder had been feeding them. They gobble it up quite quickly. However, it's super high protein (48%) and I've heard that african cichlids shouldn't be on a diet of high protein. All his fish seem very healthy and very nice colors though. Is this food okay? Cause I hear bloat tends to be a problem. Should I just feed less as a precaution?

finnyas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2010
upstate new york
for my tanks I have an actinic bulb which comes on first and goes off last , midday I mix in another daylight flourescent. The lights are just for my enjoyment I thiink it gives them good coolr in the tank and it is heavy in the blue spectrum, which is what they mostly usually experience ..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store