Lionfish

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
pedending on the type of clown yes.
the larger species, as well with damsels, seem to do fine with dwarfs as long as the damsel/clown is full grown when the lion is added.
another fish you could do if you go the dwarf lion route is hogfish and marine bettas. both get about 8" and are pretty attractive fish.

Mattcomptonassvanhorn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2005
Wichita,Ks
First of all I love you avatar. Laser cats are awesome! Be careful with triggers and puffers, I have never had good results when mixing them with lions. There what I like to call "Frenzy Feeders". Sometimes puffers see food in the reflection of the wall of the tank and try to chase it frantically and sometimes get a bite of the lionfish's elegant fins. I have a clown trigger that destroyed my lionfish's tail. So go for other placid fish. Good luck! Lionfish are awesome fish. Especially if you get a young one. then you can watch them grow up for many years to come.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Wrasses, Tangs, and Angels are good choices. I would be learly of puffers and Triggers. I had a Lion that was killed by stress from being chased from a little (2") Clown Trigger. Then the Clown died from nipping at the fines of the dead Lion, a realy shi**y week. I think a smaller Grouper might work also. Have a buddy that has 3 Domino Damsels and a Lion in a 120. He thought the Damsels would eventually be food, but turns out they are growing and doing fine. He now likes them because they eat any bits of food that they Lion burps up.

Derpeder

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Mattcomptonassvanhorn;833325; said:
First of all I love you avatar. Laser cats are awesome!
LOL everyone has a part in fighting the evil Dr. Scientist!!!

Muske;834778; said:
Wrasses, Tangs, and Angels are good choices. I would be learly of puffers and Triggers. I had a Lion that was killed by stress from being chased from a little (2") Clown Trigger. Then the Clown died from nipping at the fines of the dead Lion, a realy shi**y week. I think a smaller Grouper might work also. Have a buddy that has 3 Domino Damsels and a Lion in a 120. He thought the Damsels would eventually be food, but turns out they are growing and doing fine. He now likes them because they eat any bits of food that they Lion burps up.
Thanks to both of you for the advice and you too BG. I think I'm going to try a dwarf lion with some of the fish you guys suggested.

We'll see how it turns out. I have some time before I put fish in the tank but I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!!! I should be seting up my tank this weekend. I tested my system and found a small leak in my sump. I got that sealed and plus I need a larger pump. Picking that up tonight then off to set it up!!!!!!

turbo21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2007
pittsburgh
www.freewebs.com
did you get the skimmer working??

good luck on the fish list, when in the store, watch the fish you plan to purchase for twenty min, remember each sw fish has its own personality

the never fit the basic description

bob

Derpeder

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
turbo21;842198; said:
did you get the skimmer working??

good luck on the fish list, when in the store, watch the fish you plan to purchase for twenty min, remember each sw fish has its own personality

the never fit the basic description

bob

You know I'm just Getting the whole system set up. I've had some set backs....money, and leaks from a used sump. I've gotten everything working and just need to prepare the place in my house for the tank then she'll get set up.

I have not ran the skimmer yet....nothing is broken on it though I just didn't know how it worked so I'm sure It'll work great....I hope.

I'll post up some pics once its up!!

Marine.Maniac101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2007
the milkyway
I also LOVE lionfish and I have two... I suggest any thing larger that its mout..(remember the lion can 'superextend' his mouth) Also try to avoid triggers because they know how to avoid the spikes on the lion and can actually cause some serious damage!

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
Radiata Lion, Fuzzy Dwarf Lion, Zebra Lion, all in one tank...I saw a real nice yellow morphed Fuzzy lion a month ago, for sale 29.99$:WHOA: :WHOA: :WHOA: :WHOA:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store