Lip locking JDs

PghFishFamily

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2024
Hey guys, new user here. I have a small concern, that I think I’m just looking for clarity on. I just brought home my first pair of Jack Dempsey’s, they’re approximately 3.5” for the male and a little larger for the female. They’ve been in the same 60 gallon tank (with about 4 others and some juvenile salvini) at the store for about 6 months now. And everytime I went there they seemed to be getting along just fine. Well today I finally brought them home after spending the last 2 weeks cycling the tank and getting everything right. The moment I popped them in, they did a quick lap together, separated for about 20 seconds then literally like a boxing match bell, went to the central area of the tank and locked lips and have been going at it for about 40-60 minutes(feels like a lifetime 😅) I’ve read that it is a type of breeding behavior in a couple different threads, where the female is testing the male to see if he’s suitable mate. But I was just a little concerned about how quickly it happened and how intense it looked/looks. Please, any advice is welcome. We have experience with Cichlids, both African and south/Central American, But all have been peaceful species. This is our first go at such a dominant species.

Grow out tank Tank is a 60gallon cube 24”x24”x24”image.jpg

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
More than likely its courtship behavior. A female will fight with the male to see if he is worthy of sorts. If she can dominate him then he ain't so swell as a father right.
Watch it closely to make sure it don't get to bad. They being together for a time at the store helps but normally getting one of each doesn't pan out. They like selection just as we do.
How would you like it if some giant tossed tou into a room with one female/male and said mate now...

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys, new user here. I have a small concern, that I think I’m just looking for clarity on. I just brought home my first pair of Jack Dempsey’s, they’re approximately 3.5” for the male and a little larger for the female. They’ve been in the same 60 gallon tank (with about 4 others and some juvenile salvini) at the store for about 6 months now. And everytime I went there they seemed to be getting along just fine. Well today I finally brought them home after spending the last 2 weeks cycling the tank and getting everything right. The moment I popped them in, they did a quick lap together, separated for about 20 seconds then literally like a boxing match bell, went to the central area of the tank and locked lips and have been going at it for about 40-60 minutes(feels like a lifetime 😅) I’ve read that it is a type of breeding behavior in a couple different threads, where the female is testing the male to see if he’s suitable mate. But I was just a little concerned about how quickly it happened and how intense it looked/looks. Please, any advice is welcome. We have experience with Cichlids, both African and south/Central American, But all have been peaceful species. This is our first go at such a dominant species.

Grow out tank Tank is a 60gallon cube 24”x24”x24”View attachment 1540289
Welcome aboard

PghFishFamily

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2024
More than likely its courtship behavior. A female will fight with the male to see if he is worthy of sorts. If she can dominate him then he ain't so swell as a father right.
Watch it closely to make sure it don't get to bad. They being together for a time at the store helps but normally getting one of each doesn't pan out. They like selection just as we do.
How would you like it if some giant tossed tou into a room with one female/male and said mate now...
Sorry for the delayed response/update.

Within seconds of me posting this, they settled down and started following each other everywhere. This morning I woke up and tossed in their morning feeding of brine shrimp In and after they finished they started getting a little aggressive again, lasted about 8-10 mins and then back to business as “usual“ lol.
I can’t get over just how cool this species is. They’ve always been my favorite fish by appearance, but pictures and videos don’t do them justice, they’re majestic to the naked eye. The wife and I were hesitant to home any until we had the ability to provide a species only environment for them. So I’m hoping they are happy and decide to get along and love for life. 🤞🏻

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store