Live food's real swell until the predator almost explodes.

fishty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2012
Spain
Thinking of the title was the difficult part, telling the story is easy. For some reason I don't always learn from my mistakes. I used to keep small African clawed frogs - Xenopus laevis - with breeding guppies. The young frogs eventually started trying to catch small guppies but they were never successful. It was interesting to watch. As the frogs grew larger, they were able to catch some of the smaller guppies. At one stage I noticed that one of the frogs was starting to look a little fatter than the others. It didn't seem strange until it became bloated. I mentioned this to the owner of a pet shop but he had no idea what the problem was. I isolated the frog and tried certain over-the-counter remedies but they didn't work and the frog died. I wasn't sure if there was a connection between the guppies and the frog's death but I decided to separate them just in case. No further problems arose. A few years later I transferred the frogs to an aquarium with a few guppies and the same finally happened again to one of the frogs. I tried a different remedy which a pet shop owner promised would work. It didn't and the frog died. Now I don't mix the frogs with other aquatic animals and they're perfectly healthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store