Live plants in cichlid tank

LilBabyEmma

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2009
Morgantown
I'm getting some jungle Val's for my hap / Mbuna / peacock tank I was wondering if t5ho fixtures are ok to grow them if so which would be best
I have a 4 bulb 3 foot deep blue t5ho fixture I was wondering if 2x 10k and 2x blue bulbs would be best or just one of each. I only have one of each in the fixture at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

stephcps

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
connecticut
How big is your tank? The blue spectrum does nothing for plants. So, I wouldn't use the blue actinic bulbs at all.With T5HO, you may only need one bulb depending on depth of your tank. I definitely don't think more than 2.

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
Your fish will dig them up or they will be eaten, now if you can get them to stop eating them, then anchor is needed. If you get full spectrum bulbs on a 55 and low lighted plants you should be fine.

lorax84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2011
Michigan
I have Val. spirilis in my tang tank. My lighting is 2 6000K T5HO bulbs. 10'000k bulbs will grow them, but it will be very slow. Blue does nothing for plants.

Bajormatt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2012
Illinois
are aquatic plants different than regular plants? because regular plants use blue/violet light to photosynthesize, without that, they wont grow and red just promotes flowering in plants with flowers so i would think actinic would be good for them because of its spectrum of 420 which is just what most regular plants need for metabolic processes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store