"Live" Sand

Gprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Ottawa
Heathd;4545932; said:
Its possible, im just saying I have never observed it.
well obviously not, they're in the sand bed.... you cant see them in the sand bed eating stuff =P

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Gprime;4546296; said:
well obviously not, they're in the sand bed.... you cant see them in the sand bed eating stuff =P
+1...

To the OP...I would reverse your priorities. High Quality LR is awesome...and will make for a beautiful and well filtered tank. Live sand on the other hand (that comes in bags from petco ect) is 100% marketing scam.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Gprime;4546296; said:
lulz, yea, thats true. At the same time, mine burrow and dont move until they resurface.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Heathd;4546910; said:
lulz, yea, thats true. At the same time, mine burrow and dont move until they resurface.
Hmm...I have never sat around long enough to witness this. I only see mine like once every month, and I see him all over the place!

Gprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Ottawa
Only thing about getting live rock is around here it's too expensive. I wouldn't think it would be since Montreal (largest importer of marine live stock around here) is 2 hours away but I guess people like to make more then what they need selling live rock at a ridiculous price of $8-12 a pound. And the cheapest place would be from Big Al's but the 2 locations in my city don't take good care of their marine stock. And the whole hitch hiker thing turns me off of live rock a little bit, never know if you're going to get that one bad piece full of bad worms and what not. I've got 16lbs live rock in my nano tank and was thinking that with maybe about 25-50 lbs of live rock to seed from a local store and then about another 100lbs dry rock from BRS for the 120.

As for the sand, the Big Al's around this area doesn't have dry sand. So only option is getting "live" sand or find a suitable replacement somewhere else which i doubt will happen.

Gprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Ottawa
says 175 lbs of CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store