Live vs plastic plants….

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
might as well go with live plants, they might be cheaper in the long run because they grow and create more plants and can be good for the water from what i know
but it might be tricky finding just the right kind of aquatic plant

Reactions: Deadeye

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
The only plant I have are jungle vals,Amazon swords and pothos, depends on tank set up tho. Mine are High flow tanks.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Some of the plants I suggested (not all).
These are not piranhas, but Serrasalmids of the genus Metynnis. Incidentally, Metynnis is the one genus among all of the 'Silver Dollars', pacus, and piranhas (Serrasalmidae), which is closest phylogenetically to piranhas. All other genera are in other subfamilies (Myleinae, Colossomatinae).

IMG_0914 Crop.jpg

Maximus146

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
The only downside to both Anubius and Java Fern is that the rhizome cannot be buried or it will rot. Most tie or glue the plant to Driftwood or on stones.
Interestingly enough I’ve been told I have Java Fern growing on my driftwood. I noticed something growing but never put anything in there to grow and when I got my driftwood, it came wrapped in plastic! Lol

Last edited:

Maximus146

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
I'm old enough to remember the awful plastic plants that used to be on offer years back. Nowadays there are some really life-like and extremely beautiful fake plants.

But there's nothing like having a crack at the real thing. I'm certainly no aqua gardener and to get to the stage I'm at now has, at times, been frustrating to say the least. Below is a snippet of my 180g. Looks great but it's been quite a journey to get to this stage.

Yes, they will take up a little nitrate. Yes, bits break off which, if left, can clog up filters and/or foul the water. Yes, some fish will frustrate the hell out of you by constantly picking at them. Yes, algae can grow on them, made worse if your lighting is too strong/on too long, or you have a nutrient imbalance etc.

If I was you I'd start off with no lofty expectations. Take it slow, do lots of research on lights and substrate. I'd stay clear of CO2 at this stage, maybe something for the future if you really get into it.

Try lots of plants, most will die, but some will do ok. And give them time. Most will look like they're dying back at first, this is common.

If all else fails, and you really struggle with live plants, then there are those great looking modern fake plants to fall back on.

Good luck.

View attachment 1476238
Wow it look like you’ve had great success in growing live plants and thanks for answering all my questions! ??

Maximus146

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
Some of the plants I suggested (not all).
These are not piranhas, but Serrasalmids of the genus Metynnis. Incidentally, Metynnis is the one genus among all of the 'Silver Dollars', pacus, and piranhas (Serrasalmidae), which is closest phylogenetically to piranhas. All other genera are in other subfamilies (Myleinae, Colossomatinae).

View attachment 1476344
Beautiful tank

Maximus146

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
So much help and info….appreciate it!
I’m moving in a few months and so when I take my tank down to transport, I’d like to have a new setup for the new house

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
hold on, somebody (everybody????)'s got silver dollars with living plants?
How? What?
My SDs will dig into the bottom for the final remnant roots & tubers like a herd of goats, even when fat-fed on prawn & veg & kibble.
I far prefer live plants, but there's no what with these gorgeous knuckle-heads.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store