Live vs Prepared vs Pellet

Land Rover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2010
Good reading :)

Just a question.. What are you feeding the gar´s when they are fully grown 100cm+

I mean wont some pellets be to small for them or do we just emty the bucket of pellets in the tank?

Land Rover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2010
Would this idea work: Get a fresh fish from the marked, open its mouth, stuff it up whit pellets, close the mouth, feed it to the gar :)

In this way it will get full and get it nutriants

What would you do?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
E_americanus;4386049; said:
just wanted to add to this thread reGARding feeding and pellets...

in an ongoing experiment to add more pellet food to the gars' diets AND further increase the whole fish content, i went to the local Asian food market today and bought a pound of wild-caught frozen anchovies. i know these fish are pretty fatty, but i wanted something that the gars could eat whole (not gutted, filleted, etc).

after thawing i pried open the anchovies' mouths and crammed down several NLS medium fish pellets (they are pretty tiny, but it's a start). it was tedious, and i wasn't even sure the gars would make the double change-up of the new type of whole fish food AND pellets (not that they would detect the pellets).

anyway, upon introduction to GDII, the Cubans took the fish right away, and the croc II followed closely mowing down anything it could get a hold of. needless to say, the Cubans got their first pellets in quite some time, and are hopefully on their way to regularly getting some additional nutrition in their diet. at the very least the whole fish should be better than the tilapia fillets, although i plan on going back to tilapia and seeing if it is easier to load it with pellets (but cutting a space in the chunks).

just thought i'd report back on that...i'll be feeding the t-gars in the round tank (pictured in the media lounge) using the same method, only they are getting larger whole fish so hopefully i can pack them with several more pellets.

...now to order a pizza with anchovies :p

--solomon
Land Rover;4389802; said:
Would this idea work: Get a fresh fish from the marked, open its mouth, stuff it up whit pellets, close the mouth, feed it to the gar :)

In this way it will get full and get it nutriants

What would you do?
if you read my quoted post, this is what i did...just did it with frozen as opposed to fresh fish. theory and process works the same way in this case--
--solomon

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
IMO Solomon's method is the better way to go, as freezing will decrease the potential of exposing your fish to pathogens. (nematodes etc)

Land Rover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2010
Sorry solomon.. Now I read it.

I think I scolled past all the argumenst and mud-talk. See alot of gyes talking C... to eachother and I dont want to waste my time whit that. Unfortunally I missed out on your post.

Thanks for sharring, I will try your way when mine is fully grown.

Also to all the other lads who contribute whit knowlegde to the gar forum good work and thanks for at propper tone.

The only thing which is a bit off is all the "ID" threads but that has been taken care of by a sticker.. THANK YOU! :)

Cheers mates

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store