Living out of trash cans..advise?

monty_javier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
Well the other day I broke down the 180 to do some rearranging and maint. on it. While it was all taken apart I put to much pressure on the top. And it failed. Thankfully it was obviously empty so no problem there. Now I am just out a tank, and my fish are living in two trash cans and a couple small tanks(29/10).
In all truthfulness I am leaning toward getting new(to me) tank. 180 or larger. As I just don't know if I could trust the tank repaired. It does sit next to the TV after all.
But none the less wanted to get some advise. Anybody have any experience with repairs on acrylic tanks? Is the tank fixable? Where do you get the acrylic bonding agent that I see people use? The crack is from the back right corner of the right side opening, almost straight to the back right corner of the top of the tank. It is about 9 inches long. The tank is a Clarity Plus and is only 3/8" thick.
And finally if anyone knows of a good deal going down on a 180 or large(preferably drilled) tank I'd appreciate the tip. I live near cincinnati,OH and probably wouldnt want to go much farther than 100 miles or so. So keep that in mind. Thanks everybody.
DSC01402.JPG
DSC01403.JPG
DSC01409.JPG
The JD looking pissed about his new surroundings.
DSC01408.JPG

Greenspot

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 24, 2008
Australia
I love your fish room! it looks like mine. bits of things everywhere. other than that i can't help you one iota.

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
very fixable someone else will chime in with the details.. but basicly you need to sandwich some acrylic around it with some good acrylic adhesive and yer golden...

monty_javier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
That was kind of what I was thinking. But I was concerned because most of what I read said the top played a crucial role in the strength of the tank. Saying that you can create other stress points potentially. That is where my only 3/8" concern comes in. Although I know acrylic is very strong.

Greenspot;2840702; said:
I love your fish room! it looks like mine. bits of things everywhere. other than that i can't help you one iota.
Sadly that is my living room/dining room. Kinda converted right now.

Ransom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2006
Derbyshire / England
i hope you manage to get it all sorted, fingers crossed huh

monty_javier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
Ordered the cement offline today. BTW, thanks for the link. Ships UPS ground so it will surely be a few days. I am going to look at a used glass tank tonight. The guy seemed like a real "shister" on the phone. So we will see.
I was reading that when using the cement you should try to clamp it together for a better bond. Think you guys would just use regular clamps with something in between to not scrath the acrylic?

mdb_talon;2841852; said:
Even more impressive then.

Shows you got your priorities in order
I'll have to let my girlfriend know that.

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
You could make this super fancy if you have a drill press. Slowly (the key is low RPM) drill through the broken piece and 2 "sandwich" pieces then cement pegs through the holes (think a toothpick in a sandwich) after liberally coating the interior sides of the "bread" pieces.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store