Livingstonii or compressips ?

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Hi guys, title pretty much says it.

I have a school of 6 livingstonii and 7 compressips. As they get larger I would like to keep either one or the other type and breed them. Both are spawning now. But I think the tank will be to small in the long run for everyone.

Who would you choose? I really like them both, but I think in a 5ft tank they won't all grow to their max size and he happy.

The livingstonii seem to be more territorial (but not to bad), the compressips are really chilled.

They will be sharing with two polys (senegalus) and an upside catfish.

IMG_5979.JPG

IMG_5984.JPG

IMG_5988.JPG

IMG_5990.JPG

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys, title pretty much says it.

I have a school of 6 livingstonii and 7 compressips. As they get larger I would like to keep either one or the other type and breed them. Both are spawning now. But I think the tank will be to small in the long run for everyone.

Who would you choose? I really like them both, but I think in a 5ft tank they won't all grow to their max size and he happy.

The livingstonii seem to be more territorial (but not to bad), the compressips are really chilled.

They will be sharing with two polys (senegalus) and an upside catfish.

View attachment 1269419

View attachment 1269420

View attachment 1269421

View attachment 1269422

I personally would choose the Compressips.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I prefer the eyebiters over the livingstonii so that species is what I would go for.

Reactions: mattybecks

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I have just realized I terribly miscalculated .. my tank it 5ft (150cm x 43cm x 54cm) which makes it about 90gal I think. Not big enough for either of these guys. I have managed to rehome one male and two female livingstonii, and the rest I could give to a pet shop. But they land up in smaller tanks, as people here in Dubai don't understand to much about fish keeping. I know they will Most likely live their days in a 3 or 4 ft tank. It's what I see everywhere sadly. Do you think I might manage only 3 livingstonii in this tank? Compressips are open water fish and I know they will forsure get to big.

What would you do ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store