Long-nosed Angelfish anyone? (Pterophyllum dumerillii) – Show your Angels!

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
As currently established based on morphological revision (Schultz 1967), and recent molecular phylogenetic analysis (Anderson 2016), there are 3 accepted species of angelfish in South America: P. scalare, P. altum, and P. dumerillii. (See also Baensch & Riehl books).
By far, the majority of what is seen in the hobby are P. scalare, including variants and commercially bred strains, and here and there, a few P. altum available from importers.

Relatively rarely do we see Pterophyllum dumerillii, the Long-nosed Angelfish. Although not rare in its natural habitat, it is less common and very rarely available.
[It is still sometimes referred to by its junior synonym, Pterophyllum leopoldi, described within my lifetime. Caltesnau’s name, honoring Dumerill, has precedence by over 100 years!]

I came across a single left-over wild-caught young fish at Absolutely Fish in NJ in 2017, and purchased it immediately. I knew it was special. It has grown to become a very beautiful fish as you can see in yesterday’s pictures. It is very assertive, doesn’t bother others and doesn’t put up with crap from anybody. Notice the distinctive features: 1) long snout, caused in part by, 2) the total absence of pre-dorsal notch (continuous line of forehead), 3) the presence of the dark, blotch (not a stripe) between the mid-body and the posterior black vertical stripes.

Does anybody have specimens? Would you show them here? Heck, images of any other Angels would be cool too. Something you are proud of. Cheers!

Pterophyllum dumerilii 28May2020 lat IMG_0670.JPG

Pterophyllum dumerilii 28May2020 lat IMG_0671.JPG

Pterophyllum dumerilii 28May2020 latB IMG_0672.JPG

Pterophyllum dumerilii 28May2020 front  IMG_0673.JPG

Pterophyllum dumerilii 28May2020 back IMG_0675.JPG

Pterophyllum sp

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2020
Great fish. I think this is the first time I've not seen them on the Wet Spots list in some time. Kinda wish all the "Dwarf Angelfish" misnomers would go away. I always enjoyed sending pictures of my fish with bodies the size of my palm to the soap box crowd that insisted they only grow to 2" because the internet said so....

Reactions: decoy50

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I had a group of six in a planted 55gal. The pics are somewhere on this sight. They are my favourite angels. I had to special order them from South America as they are almost never imported. I don't know why.
They are smaller.
They are friendlier.And, just like with altums, I love how they look different to scalare.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/leopoldi-angel-update.285788/

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Thank you all for responding and posting images of your great fish.
Funny indeed that they appear now on Live Aquaria. However, they continue to not be very common n the hobby. I wish I had a group, and hopefully will come across some more.
Cheers!

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I wish I had a group
Well the 3 are still up for sale, expensive, yes, but still for sale. If I had more quarantine space and another 75 I’d consider it as I have wanted to try them for some time now.

Also I would like to thank you for making this thread as before now I did not know leopoldi angelfish were also known as Dumerillii angelfish so I learned that because of you.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Fair enough, I have seen them come up for sale at $20 each a few times, want me to @ you if I see them again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store