joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
I've managed to pick up a really nice specimen "chili" red Oscar, and it's the veil tailed/long finned variant. I'll get some pictures up as soon as he/she arrives tomorrow. For any potential plans that I may have in the future for breeding, I was wondering if I could get some of my fellow MFK opinions on the matter.

From my understand, most common Oscars found in shops, such as the common, tiger and albino Oscars, are line bred for their patterns and coloration.

So, here comes the question, what would be the best variant Oscar to breed with my Oscar to obtain an outcome of "chili" red or veil tailed/long finned Oscars? To cut it short, would breeding another veil tailed/long finned "chili" red Oscar, or normal "chili" red Oscar be best? Any idea what the outcome would be if I was to breed with an lutino tiger Oscar for example?

Any help appreciated.

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Unfortunately the delivery service cocked up and never collected the fish, so it was never delivered to me. In a way though, I think it might have been for the best because I had a exam yesterday.:p

Anyway, the goods news is my "chili" red Oscar arrived bright and early this morning. I'll get some pictures as soon as he's settled in. For the time being though, here's what he looked like in the bag on arrival this morning. Apologies for the crap quality, but he/she is looking pretty healthy and vibrant through that triple bagging, eh?;)

Photo 16-06-2017, 08 42 20.jpg

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Great man I too have the same strain but not a veil tail.
Thanks! They're a real unique and pretty variant of Oscar. This is my first one. I'd love to see some pics of yours? I was told that it is very rare to find a veil tailed Oscar of this variant. I love how the colors contrast from the white head to a red tail.

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
I've been looking for chili reds, where did you find them?
Unfortunately i'm from the UK, so not sure how much help this will be. However, I think they were imported from a Thailand breeder through my contact. I'll get back to you on that. I'm not sure how often they have them in either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store