Status
Not open for further replies.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
channarox;2134300; said:
in captivity i doubt one would get anymore than 3 feet.
Under typical conditions even that would be optimistic for a fry raised from the wild. Largest I have had was around 26 inches for a five year old fish. (I believe it is now in the Downtown Denver aquarium) This was kept in a large tank at a public aquarium. My 10 year old fish that was raised from the sac fry stage is only 19 inches...Captivity with it's associated inconsistencies definitely affects the size of these fish.

Pond culturing them could result in much larger fish but I would have to seriously question any 4 foot or above fish from such conditions. If your pond is a small lake and you have 15 years maybe.....

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
looks like this is turning into another pointless thread.

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
by helping them get some gar and raise them as big as they can so they get experince to i just wanted to share my knowledge of gars!!!

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Polypterus;2134418; said:
Under typical conditions even that would be optimistic for a fry raised from the wild. Largest I have had was around 26 inches for a five year old fish. (I believe it is now in the Downtown Denver aquarium) This was kept in a large tank at a public aquarium. My 10 year old fish that was raised from the sac fry stage is only 19 inches...Captivity with it's associated inconsistencies definitely affects the size of these fish.

Pond culturing them could result in much larger fish but I would have to seriously question any 4 foot or above fish from such conditions. If your pond is a small lake and you have 15 years maybe.....
how does captivity inhibit their growth so much? i assume that you of course would have a sufficiently large tank with a proper diet and water conditions. on top of that it went to a selected public aquarium, which should be providing the same captive care conditions. so how is it that the fish is so small? and i thought to have read on more than one occasion that longnose gars hit 16-18inches in a year. is this valid?

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
xander13;2135708; said:
how does captivity inhibit their growth so much? i assume that you of course would have a sufficiently large tank with a proper diet and water conditions. on top of that it went to a selected public aquarium, which should be providing the same captive care conditions. so how is it that the fish is so small? and i thought to have read on more than one occasion that longnose gars hit 16-18inches in a year. is this valid?
i'd like to know as well.

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
they can grow 18 in in one year because the ones i got form the river i got them and they were under 1" and in a years time they grew to one iof them 15" and the other 17"

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
they wer reared until big enough to eatfeeder guppies i fed them mosquito larvae then guppies them minnows them small goldfish and tis was in 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store