Longterm Oscar bloat - what can be done?

eligri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2023
I have a Oscar fish who has gotten pretty bloated as of the last month. He behaves normally, eats normally, etc. Today he was very sluggish, but ate normally yesterday. Fasting did not result in bloating going away, tried this for 4 days without food, then a week at 30% feedings, and then 70% feedings. Bloat has gotten far worse since last week, which is the time when I returned to 70% feedings. However he had that size of a meal for years without problems, and I really doubt it's considered a large feeding by any means.
I have seen some poops which I believe belongs to him. I also see something hanging out of his bum, but not sure what it is. I do not see it moving. Attached picture of it, and his bloat.

He has a good diet, with quality food (Hikari and Ocean Nutrition mainly). Frozen foods once per week as of late, as suggested by another forum. Also tried feeding peas every now and then, but have not tested epsom salts (in food nor bath), as was suggested against it.

120 gallon tank with frequent waterchanges and good filtration. He is about 6-7 years old.

His body looks normal, but it looks like he has swallowed a golfball. Just like a large bump on either side of his lower stomach. Slightly more on one side than the other. What can this be?

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 500l
How long has the tank been running? 7 years
Does it have a filter? Yes, plenty of filtration. 10x volume per hour, 2 large external canister filters.
Does it have a heater? Yes.
What is the water temperature? 25.5C.
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
Oscar
Sailfin Pleco
2x Albino pleco
2x Common pleco
2x L333 pleco
4x Yoyo loaches
Unknown amount of baby pleco

Maintenance

How often do you change the water? Weekly (Every 7 days usually, sometimes 9-10 days on rare occasions)
How much of the water do you change? 35-50%
What do you use to treat your water? Nothing. Virtually chlorine free water, straight from tap, with temperature to match tank. Been able to keep fish and shrimp with great success this way for a decade.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Usually gravel vac parts of the tank

*Parameters - Very Important

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Liquid test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20 (BEFORE waterchange)
pH: 7.6-7.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 6 days a week, one meal per day.
How much do you feed your fish? Quite little. A hungry fish is a healthy fish.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari, Ocean Nutrition, Tetra. Mostly Hikari/ON. 10+ different pellets mixed up.
Do you feed frozen? Not really/very rarely. Once per week as of late.
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? Not really/very rarely.

Illness & Symptoms

How long have you had this fish? 6 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 4 weeks ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Bloated. On both sides, slightly more on one side. Behaves normally other than this, perhaps a little sluggish but eats and swims normally.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No food for 4 days. 1/3 meals for 4 days. Then 2/3 meals for 1 week.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Worse bloat as of late.

20230207_170126.png

20230207_170236.png

20230207_170253.png

20230207_171058.png

20230207_183319.png

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a Oscar fish who has gotten pretty bloated as of the last month. He behaves normally, eats normally, etc. Today he was very sluggish, but ate normally yesterday. Fasting did not result in bloating going away, tried this for 4 days without food, then a week at 30% feedings, and then 70% feedings. Bloat has gotten far worse since last week, which is the time when I returned to 70% feedings. However he had that size of a meal for years without problems, and I really doubt it's considered a large feeding by any means.
I have seen some poops which I believe belongs to him. I also see something hanging out of his bum, but not sure what it is. I do not see it moving. Attached picture of it, and his bloat.

He has a good diet, with quality food (Hikari and Ocean Nutrition mainly). Frozen foods once per week as of late, as suggested by another forum. Also tried feeding peas every now and then, but have not tested epsom salts (in food nor bath), as was suggested against it.

120 gallon tank with frequent waterchanges and good filtration. He is about 6-7 years old.

His body looks normal, but it looks like he has swallowed a golfball. Just like a large bump on either side of his lower stomach. Slightly more on one side than the other. What can this be?

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 500l
How long has the tank been running? 7 years
Does it have a filter? Yes, plenty of filtration. 10x volume per hour, 2 large external canister filters.
Does it have a heater? Yes.
What is the water temperature? 25.5C.
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
Oscar
Sailfin Pleco
2x Albino pleco
2x Common pleco
2x L333 pleco
4x Yoyo loaches
Unknown amount of baby pleco

Maintenance

How often do you change the water? Weekly (Every 7 days usually, sometimes 9-10 days on rare occasions)
How much of the water do you change? 35-50%
What do you use to treat your water? Nothing. Virtually chlorine free water, straight from tap, with temperature to match tank. Been able to keep fish and shrimp with great success this way for a decade.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Usually gravel vac parts of the tank

*Parameters - Very Important

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Liquid test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20 (BEFORE waterchange)
pH: 7.6-7.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 6 days a week, one meal per day.
How much do you feed your fish? Quite little. A hungry fish is a healthy fish.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari, Ocean Nutrition, Tetra. Mostly Hikari/ON. 10+ different pellets mixed up.
Do you feed frozen? Not really/very rarely. Once per week as of late.
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? Not really/very rarely.

Illness & Symptoms

How long have you had this fish? 6 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 4 weeks ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Bloated. On both sides, slightly more on one side. Behaves normally other than this, perhaps a little sluggish but eats and swims normally.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No food for 4 days. 1/3 meals for 4 days. Then 2/3 meals for 1 week.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Worse bloat as of late.

View attachment 1512644

View attachment 1512645

View attachment 1512646

View attachment 1512647

View attachment 1512648
Welcome aboard
Read post #6 about dosing with Epsom Salt.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/help-urgent.736956/post-8304502

Reactions: kno4te and ken31cay

eligri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2023
I was strongly recommended against epsom salts by another guy who knows quite a bit about cichlids. He said there was no real proof of it actually working, and moving the fish to a hospital tank will cause quite a bit of stress. And leaving him in a tank with epsom salt longterm will cause even more stress.
Do you disagree, and if so, why? (Would like to make the most educated decision here, as I have been guided in two complete opposite directions with quite a bit of security)

SalviniCichlidFan

Dovii
MFK Member
May 30, 2021
www.andrew-li.org
It doesn't look that bad so don't try doing anything to over the top. Just feed less and the bloat should go away. Sometimes I fast my fish for a day or two (sometimes intentionally, sometimes accidentally when I'm caught up with work). Fish can go a lot longer without food than most people think because they're cold-blooded so they don't need to spend extra energy maintaining an internal body temperature (like humans do).

eligri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2023
It doesn't look that bad so don't try doing anything to over the top. Just feed less and the bloat should go away. Sometimes I fast my fish for a day or two (sometimes intentionally, sometimes accidentally when I'm caught up with work). Fish can go a lot longer without food than most people think because they're cold-blooded so they don't need to spend extra energy maintaining an internal body temperature (like humans do).
Won't try anything really brutal, but honestly I feel like it looks pretty bad. The first 2 pictures display it more accurately than the rest. The third picture shows the "lump" decently, if you look closely at the outline of it. Just surprised that the bloat didn't go down after fasting him the first time?

eligri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2023
He is still very docile today, not begging for food as he usually does.

The thing hanging out of his bum is still there as of this morning. Dead worm?

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
He is still very docile today, not begging for food as he usually does.

The thing hanging out of his bum is still there as of this morning. Dead worm?
As in the post above, use epsom salt, also maintain fresh clean water in the tank (nitrates <5ppm), and give it time. IME this would provide the best chance of recovery vs some other more extreme treatment.

Reactions: tlindsey

eligri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2023
As in the post above, use epsom salt, also maintain fresh clean water in the tank (nitrates <5ppm), and give it time. IME this would provide the best chance of recovery vs some other more extreme treatment.
Not sure why my previous reply isn't being approved and sent off.

I was recommended against using epsom salts by another guy in a different forum. He said it likely will do much more harm than good, and that there was no proof of epsom salts actually working. He also said dosing entire tank is dangerous. If you disagree, can you motivate? Want to make the best possible decision for my beloved fish :(

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
I was recommended against using epsom salts by another guy in a different forum. He said it likely will do much more harm than good, and that there was no proof of epsom salts actually working. He also said dosing entire tank is dangerous.
First I've heard of epsom salt being dangerous. I recommend that you google the topic and decide for yourself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store