Looking for a few tankmates

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I'm wanting to add some tankmates to my gar/polypterus enclosure. I presently have 2 trops and 2 flgs as well as a large polypterus collection. I want to add some fish with a circular shape to break up all of the linear forms.

Would discus work well? Large discus I mean 5.5-6" range. My biggest gar is my flg at 15". The others are around 12". Any other recommendations?

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
the discus might be nipped at and they may not handle the stress. you can try different types of silver dollars or Peacock bass

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I have heard that silver dollars dont work well with gar. Any experience with it? I might just get some bass. Theyre beautiful fish, and I have another upgrade planned anyway.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Also, any advice on a particular species of bass? I am partial to orinos, but I hear they are aggressive. Not something I want to put my gars through.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I considered a big ck, but I've heard a lot about how they can get aggressive. I definitely don't want anything that will mess with my gar. I guess that's almost always a risk though.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I had a 28" one with 6 gar never had a problem with mine but every fish is different
How are your trops doing, by the way? Should share some pics! Would love to see an update on the big one.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
for bass it depends on your price mostly. Orino I wouldn't do as they tend to be more aggressive, normally towards other bass. if your looking for a simple gar tank mate occellaris are the best pbass for that. then kelberi then mono. temensis get very large. personally I never had a silver dollar issue with my gars, they are just too wide and if nipped heal up relatively quickly. I have had sunfish with gars as well if that interests you? I had a few northern longer sunfish and pumpkinseeds in with them a while back

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store