Looking for a little perspective

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Here's a concept that's dawning on me recently. Vieja with room act very differently from Vieja in a heavily stocked tank. You want to watch all the little intricacies of Vieja behavior as they mature, you'll need to provide them some room to operate, and other Vieja to interact with. I don't get the "wet pet" thing at all, and I definitely wouldn't do it with Vieja. The whole point of having Vieja is watching them interact with each other. But, on the other hand, although you want to have several Vieja in a tank together, you don't want to over crowd them, either. I see some tanks on YT where the owner has OVERstocked the tank, presumably to lessen aggression. That may work, but I think it also defeats the purpose of having Vieja. If they're too crowded, they quit doing all the cool things to each other that make them fun to watch. In particular, though they fight less when crowded, if they do fight, it's a murderous affair as opposed to a careful show of force to test the resolve of the other.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
So I have heard several people comment on both ends of the "personable" spectrum as to whether Vieja have owner recognition. Does this depend on individual personality, certain species or varying opinions of owners as to what "personable" means? Because I really do want a fish that recognizes me and comes to me when I come close, not ignores me or flees in fear.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I am on the fence on go from CA to SA, but more on fish like festae and pikes.
The only SA I have ever owned was an Oscar and loved him. I only had a 72g at the time so I sold him. I have kept a lot of different CA cichlids and that is because of their colors and personalities. You never hear anyone call a SA cichlid a glass banger like some amphs and parachromis sp.
There are a lot of mid sized CA cichlids that don't need a tank size a veija would need. Also consider thorichthys, herichthys, and more. Here are some of my favorites-p. loisellie, a. Robertsoni and h. Deppi.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1406253421.708928.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1406253441.081526.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1406253470.810665.jpg

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I haven't had my synspilum long enough to say for sure, but right now they get spooky if I come up really quickly or move suddenly, but if I am sitting watching them they come to the the front and watch me.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I haven't had my synspilum long enough to say for sure, but right now they get spooky if I come up really quickly or move suddenly, but if I am sitting watching them they come to the the front and watch me.
Syns get less scared w/ age. Mine is about 12" and very personal. Especially when they know who feeds them lol.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1406254615.222533.jpg

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I am on the fence on go from CA to SA, but more on fish like festae and pikes.
The only SA I have ever owned was an Oscar and loved him. I only had a 72g at the time so I sold him. I have kept a lot of different CA cichlids and that is because of their colors and personalities. You never hear anyone call a SA cichlid a glass banger like some amphs and parachromis sp.
There are a lot of mid sized CA cichlids that don't need a tank size a veija would need. Also consider thorichthys, herichthys, and more. Here are some of my favorites-p. loisellie, a. Robertsoni and h. Deppi.

View attachment 1027351

That Robertsoni looks great! Are they personable like oscars or amphs?

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
That Robertsoni looks great! Are they personable like oscars or amphs?

Mine never hides. She is about 10" and won't get any bigger. She is almost as personal as them. Always following me around and begs like an Oscar would. Robertsonis are CA eartheaters so a sand substrate is good to have. They tend to stay bottom-mid level of the tank. They are very hardy fish and like a meaty diet that sinks. More picks. One up and close.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1406255455.168383.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1406255483.618351.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1406255537.043400.jpg

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Okay, so I'm not sure the zonatus is going to work. Here is what I have to work with:

One 125 gallon 6' tank
One 75 gallon 4' tank

Four Guianacara stergiosi (will probably rehome)
One notatus severum (would like to keep, but might be willing to rehome)
Two Aequidens 'Jenaro Herrera' (am definitely going to keep)

Suggestions on stocking current fish in which tanks and what stock I could add to which tanks that would be personable?

Futurecamii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2013
Chicago
Okay, so I'm not sure the zonatus is going to work. Here is what I have to work with:

One 125 gallon 6' tank
One 75 gallon 4' tank

Four Guianacara stergiosi (will probably rehome)
One notatus severum (would like to keep, but might be willing to rehome)
Two Aequidens 'Jenaro Herrera' (am definitely going to keep)

Suggestions on stocking current fish in which tanks and what stock I could add to which tanks that would be personable?

You are going to miss the Guianacara

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store