Looking for information on the Correct ballast Please!?

Mastiffman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
MI.
TropheusAndMore.com
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to build my own fixture and I was wanting to know how to properly calculate the correct wattage that a ballast needs, to run the amount of bulbs that I want at the wattage.

I assume I have to take into account the total bulb Type, Length and Wattage per bulb?

I'm looking for a small T5 Ballast that will run 2 36inch 21 watt bulbs...

Thanks!

Mastiffman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
MI.
TropheusAndMore.com
Thanks for responding. What I'm trying to do is find a replacement Electronic ballast (Small) that I can use to power two 21 watt T5 NO bulbs...

Aren't there better places that would suit the application that I'm using it fro other than Grainger or McMaster? Something like Marine Depot or maybe Aquarium Light Replacement Parts sites...

I also thought that there were maximum wattages that ballasts can handle. But I'm wondering how I could pin point a ballast to handle two 36in, 21watt T5 Bulbs...

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
:naughty:
ballasts are sold for the size and number of bulbs you want to power. nothing to figure.... see grainger.com or mcmaster.com and you will see the bulb ratings for the ballasts.
This is all you need to do. Most modern electronic ballast can handle 120/208/277v, since your house is 120v you'll be fine. You're probably best going outside the hobby, as soon as a product is marketed for aquariums they tack on 25% to the price and give you the same product.

Mastiffman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
MI.
TropheusAndMore.com
:naughty:

This is all you need to do. Most modern electronic ballast can handle 120/208/277v, since your house is 120v you'll be fine. You're probably best going outside the hobby, as soon as a product is marketed for aquariums they tack on 25% to the price and give you the same product.
Okay got it. Thanks.

I guess what I"m looking for is: Can I determine the power needed out of the Ballast by Deciding which Bulbs I"m going to be using? (i.e. in this case 2x 36" T5 normal output bulbs)

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Correct, it will have a model number somewhere around 221t5. The model number usually is the number of lamps, wattage, size. On the face of the ballast there is often a list of comparable lamps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store