Looking for Porcupine Puffer Knowledge

FlowerhornLani

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2023
Hi guys last night I had a dream about getting a porcupine puffer fish. Today I walked into the LFS to get some things and there was a little porcupine puffer fish they told me arrived last week staring right now.

Right now I have an empty 200 gallon I was planning on getting an arowana for but I also feel arowanas may need a bigger setup than 200g in the long run regardless. Additionally, I also don’t feel I really connect with them the way I do with puffer fish. Besides seahorses and clowns, they’re my favorite fish. I love their eyes and expressions.

I went home to research and was extremely disappointed to see that many of them hate captivity, scrape their eyes up and down the glass all day and are prone to infections. I tried to automatically write it off then but he has stuck in my mind all day.

I hate the idea of keeping an unhappy fish - is 200g really big enough? I don’t want to see any of the pacing behavior.

I was also wondering if I could potentially house a pair of clowns with him. Even though they’re small enough to be a snack I feel damselfish are good about holding their own even against big fish. I could also add a bubble tip. I am not going to move my existing clowns in with him but maybe get a new pair. Should I go for maroon maybe?
I’ve also read varying reports of their aggression in the first place. Many say they leave other fish alone most of the time. I am not sure of which decision to make and if I should cycle my tank to prepare for a freshwater aquarium or for another salt. I really would like to get it going this way. I’ve kept dwarf puffers and they were great and I enjoyed feeding them little snails.

Most of all I just don’t want an unhappy fish but I really would like to reserve him and start cycling the tank if I know he’ll be happy. I would be fine with him just being a single fish, too. He was only about an inch long. How quickly do they grow? Do they seem happy in your care in your experience?

Thanks!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys last night I had a dream about getting a porcupine puffer fish. Today I walked into the LFS to get some things and there was a little porcupine puffer fish they told me arrived last week staring right now.

Right now I have an empty 200 gallon I was planning on getting an arowana for but I also feel arowanas may need a bigger setup than 200g in the long run regardless. Additionally, I also don’t feel I really connect with them the way I do with puffer fish. Besides seahorses and clowns, they’re my favorite fish. I love their eyes and expressions.

I went home to research and was extremely disappointed to see that many of them hate captivity, scrape their eyes up and down the glass all day and are prone to infections. I tried to automatically write it off then but he has stuck in my mind all day.

I hate the idea of keeping an unhappy fish - is 200g really big enough? I don’t want to see any of the pacing behavior.

I was also wondering if I could potentially house a pair of clowns with him. Even though they’re small enough to be a snack I feel damselfish are good about holding their own even against big fish. I could also add a bubble tip. I am not going to move my existing clowns in with him but maybe get a new pair. Should I go for maroon maybe?
I’ve also read varying reports of their aggression in the first place. Many say they leave other fish alone most of the time. I am not sure of which decision to make and if I should cycle my tank to prepare for a freshwater aquarium or for another salt. I really would like to get it going this way. I’ve kept dwarf puffers and they were great and I enjoyed feeding them little snails.

Most of all I just don’t want an unhappy fish but I really would like to reserve him and start cycling the tank if I know he’ll be happy. I would be fine with him just being a single fish, too. He was only about an inch long. How quickly do they grow? Do they seem happy in your care in your experience?

Thanks!
Backfromthedead Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Backfromthedead Backfromthedead
Hmmm. No idea. Ive never kept a puffer of any variety.

More like BIG-G BIG-G or twentyleagues twentyleagues Or fishguy1978 fishguy1978 maybe even Deadeye Deadeye

The porcupinefish is definitely my favorite of the salty puffers though. I know that i wouldnt hesitate to try a porcupinefish fowlr setup in a 200.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I haven’t kept a porcupine, though I think a 200 is plenty of space for one. I would pass on maroon clowns (even my occys are a-holes), but any fish too large to get eaten and that won’t get aggressive with it are viable options.
I would think that a nem would be fine, but most other inverts are liable to get eaten.
If not a porcupine, you can stick with freshwater and get a fahaka.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Agree with the post above. 200 gallons is plenty and it’s probably best to skip the maroon clowns…they get big and aggressive and may even pick on your puffer. I’ve had porcupines in the past and they didn’t exhibit any glass surfing, apart from seeing me and darting over to beg for food. The only puffers that seemed truly unhappy in captivity were Amazon, fugu, and avocado puffers…they would constantly glass surf and seemed anxious.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
It has been 16yrs since I cared for a porcupine but I had several clients that had them. They are very expressive with those big blue eyes and very curious. They can be kept with other fish but not with inverts or coral. I don’t remember ever keeping them with small fish either. Clarks, tomatoes or maroons should be large enough to keep with one though.
A 200 is plenty for now. They can reach a couple feet in length and be quite stout. I don’t remember the beak being an issue or requiring trimming.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I think 200 gallons would be fine for an individual. You just gotta think about how large they can get. We have probably about 20 or so in about 1800 gallons at my work and they are all extremely healthy.
:worthlesswithoutpic:
PLEASE!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store