Looking for some stocking help

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I am setting up a 125 with a second 125 a few weeks away. With the space, I am hoping to give a list of fish and have some people help me figure out a solid stock list for each tank.

What I already have:
One F1 notatus severum 3"
Five wild Inca stone fish (T. macs) 2-2.5"
Four Guianacara stergiosi 2.5-3.5"
Two wild Aequidens sp. 'Jenaro Herrera' 2-3.5"

What I would like to add:
Geophagus winemilleri (a mated pair starting with 4-6 small juvies)
Satanoperca leucosticta (single or mated pair starting with two 5" specimens)

For any other additional stock, I am open to suggestions. Any helpful hints on setting up the tanks and keeping the fish happy is also welcome, of course. I do have a preference for rare or uncommon species of peaceful SA cichlids though. Any additions will need to get along with each other, of course.

So let me know how you think I should divide these fish up into the two 125s to have happy, health communities.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because most of my tanks are about the same size as yours(100-150gal) I find that when I put Geophagines in them, they do best in groups, not pairs or singles, they tend to become quarrelsome with other species, and each other as singles or pairs.
I know this next statement is personal opinion/preference, but I also like the look of a large shoal as they would be in nature, as opposed to (using David R's excellent analogy) a stamp collection of individuals.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Because most of my tanks are about the same size as yours(100-150gal) I find that when I put Geophagines in them, they do best in groups, not pairs or singles, they tend to become quarrelsome with other species, and each other as singles or pairs.
I know this next statement is personal opinion/preference, but I also like the look of a large shoal as they would be in nature, as opposed to (using David R's excellent analogy) a stamp collection of individuals.

I would think of stocking the tanks like this then:

Tank 1 -
Notatus severum
Aequidens sp. 'Jenaro Herrera'
4 Guianacara stergiosi

Tank 2 -
Aequidens sp. 'Jenaro Herrera'

The Aequidens would be separated since they have become a bit quarrelsome with each other. If I find out down the road that I have a male and female, I might try to pair them up, but I think separation is the best answer for now.

The T. macs would either be sold or moved to a 4' tank of their own.

So given the above stocks, obviously Tank 2 gives the most room for a group of earth eaters. Could I fit 4-6 Satanoperca leucosticta or Geophagus winemilleri in Tank 2?

What else could I house in Tank 1? I was thinking of either expanding my collection of Guianacara stergiosi to a total of 6-8 or getting a small group of 4 small cichlids like some Cichlasoma or other small acaras.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would think a half dozen of either Geos, would work well and look great together in a 125 with the Aequidens.
And as an example, in my 150 gal, I have had 9 Guianacara, 3 Acarichthys, and 5 xC ornatum for almost a year without incident, all are similar in size, between 5"-8"and have grown up together from juvies.
Thinking of what else to add, some kind of dither, in the form of a S American school of tetras might be a better route than another cichlid, because they generally inhabit a different part of the water column, and tend to have a calming effect on the cichlids. I have also found a large school of corys seem to have the same calming effect on cichlids.

I had moved a few of the Guinacara the other day to another tank to facilitate spawning, in the community they were spawning, but fry were always eaten.
The cichlids were a bit paranoid after the move, but as soon as I added half dozen Aspidoras spilotus, the entire mood leveled out.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I would think a half dozen of either Geos, would work well and look great together in a 125 with the Aequidens.
And as an example, in my 150 gal, I have had 9 Guianacara, 3 Acarichthys, and 5 xC ornatum for almost a year without incident, all are similar in size, between 5"-8"and have grown up together from juvies.
Thinking of what else to add, some kind of dither, in the form of a S American school of tetras might be a better route than another cichlid, because they generally inhabit a different part of the water column, and tend to have a calming effect on the cichlids. I have also found a large school of corys seem to have the same calming effect on cichlids.

I had moved a few of the Guinacara the other day to another tank to facilitate spawning, in the community they were spawning, but fry were always eaten.
The cichlids were a bit paranoid after the move, but as soon as I added half dozen Aspidoras spilotus, the entire mood leveled out.
Sweet. Thanks for the info. I will plan on keeping 4-5 Geos and the acara along with some tetras and cories. I'll also add some cories to the Tank 1 stock and boost the stergiosi numbers to 6-8.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Think I could get away with these stocks?

125g Tank 1:
4 Guianacara
Aequidens 'JH'
4-5 Geo winemilleri
Tetras
Cories

125g Tank 2:
Notatus severum
Aequidens 'JH'
Hoplarchus psittacus
1-2 other possible solitary cichlida or interesting non-cichlids?

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I have a pinktail chaleus in my SA tank with (chocolates, blue acaras, brasiliensis) keeps to himself, and is a SA native

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I have a pinktail chaleus in my SA tank with (chocolates, blue acaras, brasiliensis) keeps to himself, and is a SA native

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Someone had recommended them to me a year ago and I was interested, but went in a different direction. I think I will definitely give serious consideration to one for this stock since it definitely won't be changing much. :)

baxter88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2010
bucks Pa
Hi Nice shoal> Where disd U aquire your Guianas? Im Intrested to get a bunch> How long Grow out to size adult? 75 gallon accomodate 5 -6 ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store