Losing interest

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
The thing is that I feel like I am not interested in my fish, then I think about getting rid of them I don't want to.
What you feel like is irrelevant, the animals needs come first.

I feel strongly about the photo of the dogs at the Chinese market, but I'll keep my mouth shut

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Which part of this thread to write about? First, this is a new thread and not one from weeks ago?
The1500 gallon Koi pond with ammonia issues caught my attention. How many Koi in 1500 gallons ? Koi are costly I think.

The chicken eat or not part seems simple. Sometime around the age of 5 or 6 one of my chores was to build a fire under a large tub of water. Once the water got hot I would catch one or two hens and chop off their heads with a hatchet. I always let them run around with the blood spurting from the necks until they fell over. If mom did it she would toss them under a second tub as she did not care to go fetch them. She would then hold them by the legs and plunge them into the hot water to soften the feathers. These hens would be part of a family meal for a day or two. Very good eating. I especially recall the livers being very good. Sorry but I cannot picture a pet chicken, they always look like fresh food to me.

Never ate dog or cat that I know of but will if hungry enough. Hope I am never that hungry.

Reactions: predatorkeeper87

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
The first time you had this problem was because you didn't have cichlids

This time it's because you don't have good cichlids

I'll go ahead and give you a solution:

Get some good cichlids. Try a SA tank. Firemouths, Convicts, Geos, Acaras, etc... If you want more aggressive but still personable fish then try GT's, Salvinis, Texas', etc...

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
What you feel like is irrelevant, the animals needs come first.
This, right here.

I love my cats, I love my fish, I've even become attached to the daddy long legs in my laundry, I understand an attachment to animals...

Granted we all get lazy. Granted we all postpone a change for a day here and there.. But this is ridiculous. Honestly it's kind of starting to seem like you see an animal then all of a sudden it becomes your "neglected pet" and suffers for the rest of its life.

If you love them as much as you say you do you wouldn't make these excuses. You'd do the maintaince regards of if you can be "bothered". I'm still over 15kgs underweight, I know what a lack of energy is yet I still care for all my animals.

If my animals ever hurt themselves and I didn't have money for their treatment, I'd sell something. I've done it before and I'd do it again. When Rumpy ate an ivy plant I didn't have lots of money, so I sold my TV, ds, and home theater system so I could pay his vet bill. Why? Because HIS NEEDS and HIS WANTS come before mine. Your a kid, surely you have a PlayStation lying around somewhere that you don't use. Or games you don't play, or whatever. If you're allowed to, sell some junk (yard sale! :D) and get a new pump for your koi.

Getting pets is similar to having kids (except I can leave my 5yr old cat at home by himself all day and he won't be dead when I get home), when you commit your life to looking after another that becomes your main drive in life whether its a child or a pet, what YOU want doesn't matter anymore because you've committed your life to bettering their life.

Why have animals if you're not going to look after them? I know maintenance and cleaning after pets isn't fun, I mean, do you really think I enjoy cleaning 5 kitty boxes every day or two? No, I don't, it smells, its gross and then theirs Rumpy's "issues" and omg! But it has to be done. That's what I committed to when I got cats.

Do you think I like rinsing out floss covered in fish poop? Do you think anyone likes doing that stuff? No, but they do it because that's the commitment they made when they started keeping fish.

Carp, I like you, you seem like a good kid. However I think its time you started really thinking about whether or not you're giving these animals the best life you possibly can or if you could do better.
If you can do better its time to think about do you want to, and how.
If you don't want to do better or can't be bothered, please re-home your animals, for their sake. If you're willing to let them suffer, you don't love them as much as you say you do.

I'm not trying to be mean here but someone has to say it. I'm not trying to offend or upset and I don't want to argue, just voicing opinions.

Post Script: Sorry for the wall of text.. Animal neglect bugs me.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I don't have a playstation. I don't play video games. It isn't worth my time. I added safe to the tanks, so the fish aren't suffering, but I am going to do water changes hopefully tomorrow. NOW REMIND ME? WHY THE HELL DO I NEED TO GET A NEW PUMP FOR MY KOI POND?!?! I HAVE AN ES3500 PUMP. I just got through repairing the air pump for the moving bed filter last night. I am pretty frustrated about the koi pond right now. I don't have much to sell. I had 2 computers but now I only have one because I punched the other one out of frustration and it doesn't work any more. And to be completely 100% honest, I have been skipping maintenance because I don't feel well. Whenever I get up from sitting down for even a short period of time I almost pass out. I haven't been feeling well recently. S skjl47 My chickens are young. They hardly have any meat on their bones, but they are great layers. It would be senseless to kill them. They are my pets and I won't kill them.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
S skjl47 My chickens are young. They hardly have any meat on their bones, but they are great layers. It would be senseless to kill them. They are my pets and I won't kill them.
Hello; To each his own. Had a friend whose wife wanted to raise goats when they got a small farm. She started treating them like pets for a while. The goats kept having kids and eventually overgrazed the lots that were available. She eventually got over it and found they did indeed taste good. What will you do when the chicken s get old and are not such good layers? Old hens and roosters go good in a stew pot. Chicken and dumplns, um good. Ah well, you get to have any pets you want and to run your tanks any way that suits you. You might consider keeping some of the stuff you do to yourself if our responses are upsetting.

I follow your threads to find out what you might come up with next. Sorry to hear you do not feel well. Feeling faint when standing up does not sound right for a young person. Hope you get over this ill spell.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
As far as my pets, if one gets sick I treat it if I think it can make it, if it doesn't seem like he'll survive I'll humanely euthanize, sometimes I'll feed one deceased pet to another if it's safe, kinda like a burial at sea. On the people in Asia eating pets: many of the animals in eaten in Asia cause health problems particularly bats, primates, reptiles and predatory animals of many species, if u had a bunch of islands where each was given different meats and no aces to medical care u will notice a major difference in lifespan something like this: reptile diet/ people die in teens to early twenties.
Bird diet/ people live approx 50 60 years.
Fish diet/ people die in twenties to late thirties.
Antelope and deer diet/ people die in 50 65 years.
Predatory mammal diet people live 30 40 years

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store