Low maintainence floating plants??

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
I'm asking because certain types of fish will eat/move/shred plants. Many cichlids, Geophagus in particular, are known to be quite destructive with planted tanks. However, there are many members who do successfully keep planted tanks w/cichlids.

In my 110 tall pt, I have SA cichlids, which include a group of wc Geophagus Red head Tapajos. None of my fish in this tank have bothered with floaters or pothos roots at the top. They focus on uprooting plants at the bottom if i dont put rocks around the stems or tie plants to driftwood. My challenge with floaters has been plants getting blown around at the surface by spraybars and powerheads when they're not attached to something.

My group of Pty. Tarantsy in another tank have eaten an abundance of water lettuce but also leave java moss and pothos roots alone. I love the look of floating plants, so I just keep trying until I find something that works. For example, in yet another grow out tank I have Java Moss Najas Guadalupensis (aka Water Nymph or guppy grass) as floaters with young Paretroplus Menarambo and Saratheradon Knauerae. They leave these plants alone.

Hope this helps :) Please post pics of your progress. Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I threw some egeria densa in my cichlid tank and its worked for me. My convict valiantly battled it for the first day or so, then gave up.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
I threw some egeria densa in my cichlid tank and its worked for me. My convict valiantly battled it for the first day or so, then gave up.
Interesting plant. . . Do you keep it rooted and/or floating?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Try Ceratopteris cornuta or Hydrocotyle leucocephala.

Pretty hardy and undemanding as long as you have decent lights on 12h/d

HarleyK

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Interesting plant. . . Do you keep it rooted and/or floating?

I just left it floating, it tends to anchor itself on other plants or ornaments, then develops stringy roots.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
I just left it floating, it tends to anchor itself on other plants or ornaments, then develops stringy roots.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for this.

My apologies to the OP, didn't mean to derail.

shawe1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2013
Hertfordshire, England
I'm asking because certain types of fish will eat/move/shred plants. Many cichlids, Geophagus in particular, are known to be quite destructive with planted tanks. However, there are many members who do successfully keep planted tanks w/cichlids.

In my 110 tall pt, I have SA cichlids, which include a group of wc Geophagus Red head Tapajos. None of my fish in this tank have bothered with floaters or pothos roots at the top. They focus on uprooting plants at the bottom if i dont put rocks around the stems or tie plants to driftwood. My challenge with floaters has been plants getting blown around at the surface by spraybars and powerheads when they're not attached to something.

My group of Pty. Tarantsy in another tank have eaten an abundance of water lettuce but also leave java moss and pothos roots alone. I love the look of floating plants, so I just keep trying until I find something that works. For example, in yet another grow out tank I have Java Moss Najas Guadalupensis (aka Water Nymph or guppy grass) as floaters with young Paretroplus Menarambo and Saratheradon Knauerae. They leave these plants alone.

Hope this helps :) Please post pics of your progress. Good luck!

Yes i can imagine eartheaters can destroy plants rooted at the bottom ;)

I will keep you updated as I would like to eventually switch to all natural plants!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store