low maintenance mechanical filtration?

jschall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2009
Chico, California
I am setting up a 40 gallon sump on a 150 gallon tank. I have my pot scrubbies, I have my 40 gallon breeder. The plan is, water goes into mechanical filter, goes into bucket with scrubbies, comes out of holes in the bottom of bucket with scrubbies. Gets pumped back up. That leaves the other 3/4ths of the sump to be a refugium for growing out young fish.

Only one problem: how do I do that mechanical filtration? I want an easy-to-maintain solution... I was considering filter socks, because I could have like 5-10 of them and they would be very quick to swap out. Would I want felt ones or mesh ones?

I can't be hosing out filter floss all the time.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Filter socks and sponges are you mech filtration.

Sent from my Nokia 5165

KAWAMIKIE

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
Filter socks, pads, mats or sponges for mechanical.
They all work. How often you have to clean or replace depends on your stock levels, how much and what you feed. Your turn over rate could affect how often you need to clean your mechanical as well.
In my 500 I turn over about 3.5 times per hour through two 7"x16". The socks last me a few weeks. But I clean up waste off the bottom of the tank every 3-4 days, mostly from a 6" Royal Pleco. If I had a higher turn over rate to stir up the waste or drains lower in the water colum I'm sure the socks would only last a week.
You can get more time out of filter socks by stacking different micron socks together.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
I would recommend 100 or 200 micron felt socks. Also, if you can fit a #1 sized sock (7x16) do it as they have double the surface area of a 4" sock and are easier to clean as well.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
100 micron filter socks, 2 of them would be great, 7inch by 17inch, get this size and they will last a good while and provide great filtration, Simple and easy. And reusable.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I use a 50 and a 100 on my sump tank both 7x17 felts. Bought a dozen and swap and wash as a load about once a month.

Filter socks are great!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store