Lucky little guy.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Jeez, Esox, I hate when you start using all those technical biology terms; I'm forced to look some of them up in order to simply follow the conversation...:)

First off, all snakes are "bitey"; venomous ones bite, inject and then release their hold, following up on the prey by scent after giving it a chance to "pass on"...or "die", as we heathens often call it. I never kept any venomous snakes in captivity long term...my dad always encouraged my pursuits, but even he had his limits...although I did catch Massassauga Rattlers and sell them to an antivenin manufacturing facility in Detroit when I was a youngster. Snuck many a small venomous rattler across the border, bagged in a pocket, a hat, etc. :) I am assuming the statute of limitations has expired on this activity; in any case, I outgrew such biologically-unethical nonsense when I hit my 20's.

The "squeezy" ones, which we amateurs refer to as "constrictors", bite and then hang on while quickly throwing loops of their bodies around the prey to immobilize it and prevent breathing. They maintain that grip with their jaws until the prey stops strruggling. which takes a couple or a few minutes but likely feels much longer to the critter. All the species I kept and bred were "squeezies". :)

Last edited:

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
In the interest of honest disclosure, I will admit that back in my snake days I went through likely a literal ton of rats and mice of all ages, using them as food for Kingsnakes, Bullsnakes, assorted Rat Snakes, Sand Boas, Pythons, Boas, etc. Most of those were purchased frozen, but a fair number were...oh, let's call it "DIY euthanized"...a task which I did not enjoy and which did nothe.
Reminds me of years ago when I was just getting my fingers wet in the hobby.I had a wolf fish in a tank with no hood.I'd set the tank up in dining room and at some point during the night a mouse must have tried its luck and wound up falling into the tank as the next morning,there was the wolf fish sitting on the bottom with the mouse's tail end sticking out of it's mouth.

• Wow
Reactions: deeda and jjohnwm

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Gotta love bitey fish! :)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Gotta love bitey fish! :)
Jeez John, what the hell's a "bitey" fish? You're worse than me, lol.

For the record, and going off your summary of snakes, I think our corn snake, Amber, has got some serious issues then.

It bites me, and tries to constrict the life out of dead mice!! WTF, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: deeda and jjohnwm

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Jeez John, what the hell's a "bitey" fish? You're worse than me, lol.

For the record, and going off your summary of snakes, I think our corn snake, Amber, has got some serious issues then.

It bites me, and tries to constrict the life out of dead mice!! WTF, lol.
Well, any time you wake up to find the tail of a mouse sticking out of your fish's mouth...you can rest assured that you have a bitey fish! :)

Usually, snakes won't constrict a dead food item unless you wiggle it with forceps or whatever to make it seem alive; just dropping in a thawed dead mouse doesn't usually elicit constriction. The snake usually just noses over the whole carcass, looking for the head, and then quietly swallows it.

If Amber is biting you, that likely means that you have been handling the mouse and getting the scent on your fingers; Corn Snakes are usually pretty mellow and don't often bite otherwise.

Or, is this related to some obscure British culinary treat that incorporates mouse parts? Do you guys eat Mouse Haggis? :)

Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Well, any time you wake up to find the tail of a mouse sticking out of your fish's mouth...you can rest assured that you have a bitey fish! :)

Usually, snakes won't constrict a dead food item unless you wiggle it with forceps or whatever to make it seem alive; just dropping in a thawed dead mouse doesn't usually elicit constriction. The snake usually just noses over the whole carcass, looking for the head, and then quietly swallows it.

If Amber is biting you, that likely means that you have been handling the mouse and getting the scent on your fingers; Corn Snakes are usually pretty mellow and don't often bite otherwise.

Or, is this related to some obscure British culinary treat that incorporates mouse parts? Do you guys eat Mouse Haggis? :)
Guilty as charged. I do handle the thawed out mouse just prior to feeding, no forceps. I got bit when I grabbed hold of the mouse's butt and wiggled its head in front of Amber to make her think it was live!

She pounced, missed and sank her not so impressive teeth into my finger, drawing blood in the process. Afterwards I discovered that snakes have poor eyesight....no fecking kidding!!

I love haggis. As far as I'm aware no mice were ever harmed in the manufacture of the ones I consume, lol.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Well, any time you wake up to find the tail of a mouse sticking out of your fish's mouth...you can rest assured that you have a bitey fish!
Lol,sig worthy.

• Haha
Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Guilty as charged. I do handle the thawed out mouse just prior to feeding, no forceps. I got bit when I grabbed hold of the mouse's butt and wiggled its head in front of Amber to make her think it was live!

She pounced, missed and sank her not so impressive teeth into my finger, drawing blood in the process. Afterwards I discovered that snakes have poor eyesight....no fecking kidding!!

I love haggis. As far as I'm aware no mice were ever harmed in the manufacture of the ones I consume, lol.
Yep...never feed snakes when you handle them, and never handle them when you feed them. You don't want them to associate the opening of the cage and the appearance of the hand in any way with food.

It probably isn't necessary to wiggle the mouse at all. Thaw it out nice and warm, place it in the cage, and leave it be. Odds are good that the scent will draw her out and she will eat...and don't touch her then! :)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Yep...never feed snakes when you handle them, and never handle them when you feed them. You don't want them to associate the opening of the cage and the appearance of the hand in any way with food.

It probably isn't necessary to wiggle the mouse at all. Thaw it out nice and warm, place it in the cage, and leave it be. Odds are good that the scent will draw her out and she will eat...and don't touch her then! :)
It's quite rare I get her out of her enclosure and handle her, but when I do she seems very comfortable with it. She slithers all over me, she was in my shorts the other week, there's a photo on here somewhere.

And I never handle her when she's just eaten, I'm not sure why, I was just told it's not good for the snake. Is it a digestion thing maybe?

Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store