Lungfish with others?

yoimb0b

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2006
???
Is it possible to keep lungfish with other fish? My friend just bought an albino lungfish, about 13" and its in his 180 gallon. Would any other fish get along in there? he was thinking along the lines of an arowana, or peacock bass, stuff thats more top swimming, that gets big enough not to get killed by the lung, but not mean enough to kill the lung.

Any ideas? footprint is 6x2x2

zombeer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2007
new hampshire, usa
it took me 4 tries to get a pleco big enough to stand up to my lungfish. the things are beasts! i'd say throw in a bunch of goldfish every week to keep the lungfish occupied and hope for the best. good luck!

GriF

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
Netherlands
If the tankmates are big it will just bite a chunk out of them....just like it will do to your hand if you your not carefull.
Top swimmers or not...it does not matter.
Africans just don't go that well with otherfish....
If you don't mind if your fish will die...go for it..if you like your fish and want to keep them allive and/ or healthy..keep it by itself.
Even with goldfish....(I speek from experience) there are usually some that will survive..but the ones that do will be so stressed from getting chased by the lung they will get sick of stress. And you don't want sick fish in the tank with your lungfish..because they are way to cool to get sick.

Delhezi222

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
P
It depends on the kind of lungfish. If it's an african, it definitely won't. The other species might.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
given the frequency of albinos imported being Africans, that is what i would guess your fish is...and as stated above, Africans should be kept alone. big or small, they will either eat, maim, or kill tankmates randomly and unpredictably.--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store